Prologue - Riley

(Republishing because I didn't like it the first time so I've gone back to it and edited it a little... Enjoy!)

"If you could just move the barre over there for me, that would be perfect," I instruct the two male workers as they carried the bit of equipment into the open space after unloading it from out of the van outside.

I keep my hands placed on my hips, watching them arrange everything exactly how I wanted it.

What was now nothing more than an empty hall would slowly transition into the city's dance studio by the end of today and that was the thought that excited me most. It was that very thought that was motivating me further with every minute that passed.

It may take some time and I might get a little frustrated every now and then but I just had to keep reminding myself of the goal at hand.

Sooner or later there would be little kids running around this place, doing pirouettes and jetés in every spot with the widest of smiles and grins upon their faces. That was the aim, at least.

"Where would you like these?" the blond who had just walked in with a set of two boxes in his arms asks me after nudging my shoulder. I turn around to face him, reading over the labels to find they were the costume racks for the closet and then I point to the side-door in the corner of the room.

"Just in there for me, please. Thank you."

He follows suit, heading in the set direction and I breathe out heavily, calming myself back down as I took in the view of the place. There was still so much work that needed to be done but we were getting somewhere at least.

There's a light tap on my shoulder again so I started glancing around the room, preparing myself to tell the workman where he should put the next pile of boxes but before a single word can leave my lips, they make their way around to stand in front of me and allows my eyes to fall upon theirs.

"Cappuccino, extra sugar," Nate smiles when he offers me a cup consisting of the hot drink.

I smile at him, giving him a look of appreciation as I take it out of his palm to have a light sip of it.

We remain stood in silence for a few moments, taking in the view of our surroundings before he nudges my arm. "We're getting there, aren't we," he says with elation, making me nod my head partially before raising my shoulders.

"Yeah, I guess. It's going to take days before we can even think of opening for the convention day though," I tell him, causing him to shrug.

"That's alright. There's no rush, is there?" he asks rhetorically.

I roll my eyes playfully as I look around me to contemplate over whatever could have been missing.

The carpenters and painters were definitely getting somewhere with removing the old walls and forming new ones, painting them a lilac purple, but it still didn't feel right. There were a lot of things missing. Lights, photo frames, chandeliers. I had a set vision in my mind and it seemed like we were far from meeting my expectations.

"I don't know. There's still a lot of work we need to do with the ceiling and flooring-"

"Riley, there's someone here who wants to talk to you," Monica says, approaching me suddenly. I turn around to face her and raise an eyebrow.

She and I had met in business school and it was the two of us who first put together the idea of starting a dance studio of our own. Except she wasn't particularly a dancer so we had figured she would be more to do with the administration side of things.

I look at her confusedly since I hadn't been expecting any visitors at all day, especially not when there was so much work that still needed to be done. "Who is it?"