Grady Memorial Hospital

Jodie took over the night watch, although she was just as tired as Ashley. They had walked most of the day and had taken over an hour to rid the hotel of the remaining undead.

Ashley seemed to sleep much easier than Jodie at the moment. Maybe because she had already lost everyone she cared about and didn't have to live in fear of losing anyone else. Of course, she and Jodie had grown closer by now, but it wasn't the same.

Jodie, on the other hand, was kept awake by uncertainty. Whenever she closed her eyes to find peace, the images of the others would pop up. And the horrible scenarios that could happen to them.

Rick, Carl and Judith shot in some house, trying to find food. Michonne, impaled by her Katana, Carol ripped to shreds by walkers. Maggie and Beth, who were ambushed by some men. Glenn, who had become a walker. Daryl, pierced by arrows, with a crushed skull or simply starved to death in some corner. Jodie could always dismiss the last thought, however. If Daryl was going to die of anything, it wasn't going to be starvation. He was a hunter, a survivor. He would always find a way to eat again. He would be able to take care of himself. Just as she could now.

She couldn't help but think every time these images went through her mind afterwards if it wouldn't be easier to continue to fend for herself. Ashley would find a new group and she would find her group.

But then the guilt would come back to her. It would be unfair to just leave Ashley behind after all they had been through. Besides, it had been several weeks since she had found any evidence that anyone was still alive. How realistic was it to find anyone again?

By now, Jodie was asking herself this question every day before she went to sleep and after she woke up. And with each passing day, she felt that very question closing in like a fist around her chest, slowly squeezing shut.

*********************************

They left the hotel as the sun rose. It would probably take them another half day to reach the hospital.

Still Jodie felt that it wasn't a good idea to enter the city at all. But she also couldn't deny that it hadn't worked yesterday. Which didn't mean it would work today, though.

It was a gray day. Clouds hung in the sky as if they were trying to smother the sun. Ashley seemed even more tense that morning than before. To distract her a little, Jodie tapped her and showed her a piece of paper written all over it.

"What was the name of this hospital again?"

"Grady Memorial Hospital. If it's still standing, maybe there are other people there, or at least supplies, in case something happens to one of us again."

"How's your leg?"

"Better now, we might even find something at the hospital that will speed up the healing even more."

Jodie nodded. Even if it was dangerous. A few bandages, injections, or medications could always help. And there were certainly enough of them in a hospital.

"Where do we go if there's no one left there?"

Ashley hesitated a bit with her answer.

"I don't know. I guess we move on. Or do you have another idea?"

Jodie briefly showed her the pictures from her drawing pad. Ashley sighed deeply.

"Do you really think they're still alive?"

Jodie pointed to Daryl's picture and nodded firmly. Again, Ashley let out a deep sigh. Apparently, she didn't agree.

"And where do you think Daryl would go?"