Dream

Chapter 3.

Matthew walked down the stairs and stepped into a small kitchen. The walls were painted a fresh green - but an area, above the stove, was swatched buttercup yellow. His mom, Caroline, could never decide on a shade and it wasn't unusual to see patchworks of color, and buckets of paint, strewn around their apartment.

Carlo, a grey terrier, lifted from his bed and padded slowly to greet him. Matthew scratched the dog behind the ears and his stumpy tail wagged. He was a gentle soul - getting old too.

Jamie had picked him out at the shelter on his fifth birthday.

Carlo had been a grey cloud tucked in a corner of his pen - watching them pass by with dark, hopeless eyes.

Jamie had stopped and watched the terrier thoughtfully. The attendant had been eager to show him younger, more energetic dogs - but Jamie's attention had been caught and he pressed his hand through the bars.

Carlo had watched him right back; quietly assessing. Jamie waited patiently and the dog had finally stood and moved towards him. He'd touched the boy's palm lightly, with just the tip of his nose, and Jamie had made his decision. And Matthew was thankful; he liked the peaceful dog.

His mom had already left for her day job, but she'd left out bowls of cereal and a note on the table. Matthew popped a few slices of bread in the toaster and read it absently.

She asked Lucy to do the laundry and Matthew to walk the dog and collect Jamie from school. It was signed with four hearts, one for each of them, including Carlo. Matthew smiled and got two plates from the shelf.

Fast steps ran down the stairs, while he buttered the toasts and put a mild slice of cheese on top.

"Hey, Jay." He set the plates on the table and poured plant-based milk into their cereal.

Jamie's hazel eyes flitted in Matthew's direction, before he knelt to pet Carlo. His black hair fluffed up in messy tufts and he wore his favorite galaxy pajamas.

"Apple juice or orange?" Matthew opened the fridge and looked back expectantly.

Jamie sat and took a bite of his toast silently. Matthew frowned. Jamie usually picked apple, and he poured the juice into his brother's cup, and chose orange for himself.

"Alex got me tickets for the time-warp game. It's on Friday." He tempted.

Time-warp was the newest sensation and Jamie never missed a game on screen. But his little face remained still as he picked through his cereal. Delicate lavender shadows were beneath his eyes and his skin looked awfully pale. Carlo whined and Matthew felt a sudden chill.

"Jamie..."

In the next instant Matthew was sitting on the stairs in the hallway, tying his shoelaces. Lucy stumbled past him, schoolbag nearly clipping him on the head.

"Sorry! I forgot Maddie!" She threw the bag on the floor and reached for her boots.

Maddie was her best friend and Lucy forgot her often. Not because she didn't care, but because she was scatterbrained and fit too much into her day.

"Luce..."

She glanced back at him through a tangle of dark hair, hopping on one leg to fit on her boot. "Yeah?"

"Jamie's mad at me." The words were accompanied by a sharp sting in his heart. Jamie often had tantrums, but he was rarely angry.

"I know." She fit on her second boot. "But it was an accident. Give him some time."