2| I'm sorry.

WHY? 

Maria POV:

"W-What do you mean? What happened to my brother? Mom, please talk to me." I mumble into the phone. She stayed silent for a moment until I broke that silence. "Mom, are you okay? What happened?" I said and she finally answered. "H-He's in the hospital; I don't know if he'll live." I stayed silent. I mean this was supposed to be a fun girls date. But as i thought that, I had started to cry.

As I look up to my friend who is standing there with a bunch of books. She stares at me with wide eyes, and mouths " Are you okay? Do you need to go?" I nod my head. I tell my mother I'll be over soon, and to just wait for me. She hangs up the call.

"I'm so sorry that our day didn't go as planned." I said. She looks at me and shakes her head "No it's ok. And if you want you can call me later, okay? Tell me all about it when you're ready." This was always the reason I trust her so much, she understands me. She always knew when I needed time to myself, and when I needed space.

After I said my goodbyes, we both left for our separate ways. I'm going to meet with my mother and she's going home. I walked as fast as I could to my dorm room. I had told her to meet me at a gas station and that I'd be there shortly. As soon as i got to my dorm room. I quickly changed into something more comfortable. Then I headed out the door after calling an uber.

As soon as I had gotten the notification that my uber was here I headed out of the dorm lodge. I got into the car and we started heading to the gas station. Soon we were at the gas station, after I paid I saw my mom's car and headed over to it. I tapped on her side window. She rolled it down to where I could see her whole face clearly. I looked at her blankly, as she stared back with tired eyes.

She had obviously been crying for a while. After such a long and awkward silence I finally spoke. "Mother, how are you and dad?" She waited a bit to answer. "Get in." when she said that I just nodded.

It was a silent car ride. . . One of the most awkward ones I've had in a while. And as if she read my mind she spoke. "Your brother, uhm-" "Mom if you don't want to say it right now, you can always tell me later." I cut her sentences short.

The rest of the ride to the hospital was silent. Not even a single glance was exchanged through the whole 40 minutes. It was a dark silence, it felt tense. I wanted to say something but I was afraid I'd make things awkward. I felt as if I was going to hurl with the tension in the air. I hated that feeling.

I needed some fresh air. So as soon as we got to the hospital, I took a step outside and sat on a bench. The time was 6:43 and it was starting to get chili out. Thankfully I had brought a jacket with me. I was wearing leggings and a baggy old pink shirt, and my black high top converse.

After like 10 minutes I went back inside to find my mom. She was waiting in the waiting room to be called. I sat down next to her. We didn't say anything, not until the nurse came out and called for us to go see him. Once me and the nurse were alone I asked what had happened to my brother. She looked at me surprised for a second.

"Did your mom not tell you?" She said, "No. She didn't." I said. It went silent once again as she stopped. I turned my body as I too came to a stop. She looks at me with worry in her eyes. That's when I was relieved that this wasn't a simple mistake. So I just stare her in the eyes not knowing what to do. I ask "Was it really that bad?" She stayed silent for a minute.

"Yeah, it is." she said. "Please tell me everything. I want to know what happened to my brother before I go see him in his unwelcoming state." I said as if I knew what I was talking about. Her breath hitched as she let out a sigh.

We both stood there looking at each other, we were taking deep breaths as we couldn't move. As soon as I was done with being suffocated with tension for one day, I decided to walk away. As soon as I began to turn, she spoke. "We don't think he's going to make it. I'm sorry."

I pause in my steps. I didnt turn around. I feared that if I did, I'd break. I'm scared to look her in the eyes, so i didnt turn around and started walking again. I didn't speak. The only thing I did was nod slightly.

 ***

As soon as I found my mother, she was waiting outside of his room. The door was closed. Thankfully because I don't know if I can see him right at this moment. I was absolutely done with today. I didn't want to be stressed since I had exams coming up in about a month or so. I've been studying. But this might put me off a little bit.

TO BE CONTINUED!!!

(word count 948)