A new chapter

Viv heard the click of the lock and took a deep breath. She'd been waiting for that sound all day. Or rather she'd been dreading that sound all day.

"Babe I'm home." Viv's heart plummeted and had to push back the tears welling up in her eyes. Lisa dropped her bag onto the kitchen counter and flopped on the couch. "What a day" she sighed.
She hadn't noticed that Viv was as white as a ghost and was trying to look anywhere but at Lisa. "Training was an absolute pain today. You're lucky you got the day off, cause man, that weather was no joke"
"Right" Viv said softly. Lisa turned to look at her and saw a tear rolling down her face. "Hey, what's going on?" She quickly wrapped an arm around Viv.
I have to do it now. Otherwise I'll never do it Viv thought.
"We have to break-up". She looked down at the floor and fidgeted with her thumbs. Viv could feel Lisa's hand slip from her shoulder. "Where's this coming from?"
"Please tell me that you saw this coming?" There was a sort of pleading in her voice. Lisa on the other hand looked more confused than ever. "Seen this coming? Viv how how on earth could I've seen this coming?"
"Well... it is not like everything is perfect, I mean we barely even talk. We come home, eat, sit on the couch and go to bed, or rather I do all those things alone cause 9 out of 10 times you're out having fun with your new friends."
"Well you should have said something if it is bothering you so much." Lisa sounded agitated which made things even worse for Viv. "It isn't that I didn't try to..." but Lisa interrupted her "this is typically you this. Staying silent for months until shit finally hits the fan and you know what I'm sick of it." Viv was lost for words. Lisa had never ever spoken to her like this before. Yes they've had their fair share of disagreements, but they had never shouted at each other. "It's not like that, I..."
"It's not like that, huh? Every time something's bothering you, you let it sit inside you, pushing it way down, until one day you break and start blaming me for something you didn't talk about! You know what, I'm not having this. I'm going out." She turned on her heels and stormed off. Viv managed to say "yeah go runnin' of to your new little friends!" Before the front door was slammed shut, nearly breaking of its hinges.
Viv was in total shock. Never in a million years would she have thought that this was how they'd end. She picked up a pillow and screamed herself hoarse in it, then she threw it away and started crying.
It was near to midnight when Viv heard something that woke her up. She looked around. She must have fallen asleep on the couch as she was still on it. She suddenly heard footsteps and was just trying to think of the best hiding spot in case of a burglar when...
"Hey... are you still up?" Viv let out a deep sigh. It wasn't a burglar, it was Lisa. Her voice sounded calm and soft. "Yeah I am" Viv replied. "So... I guess we need to talk" Lisa's voice was trembling a little. She shuffled over to the couch and sat down. "Yeah we do". "First of I wanted to apologise to you. I never should have shouted at you like that." Viv shrugged her shoulders and said "it's okay, I don't blame you. I mean it is not nothing to hear that someone wants to break up with you" Viv gave Lisa a weak smile, which she half returned. "So you still want to go through with it?" Viv nodded. "It's not only you not being here. I also feel like I've lost myself and I need time to find me again. On my own that is."
"so this is it? We're just gonna pretend that the past seven years never happened?"
Viv started to cry again. For seven years she called Lisa home and here she was, breaking up with her. "I'm not saying that, but like I've said I just need to find me again, who I am." Now Lisa started crying. "but I know who you are. You're Vivianne Miedema, the softest, sweetest and funniest person I've ever met. Please don't do this Viv, please" Viv could hear the pleading in Lisa's voice, but she had to do it. She just couldn't go on like this. She had vowed to herself that if it came to choosing between a relationship and herself that she would always put herself first, regardless of how selfish it might seem. "I'm sorry Lisa but I have to do this. It doesn't mean that I don't love you anymore, cause I do."
"then tell me, why are you breaking up with me if you're still in love?" Viv shook her head. She wanted Lisa to realise that she wasn't doing this to hurt her. "Lisa, I'm doing this because I love you, don't you realise that? I don't want to hurt you, I really don't, believe me. But if I keep this up I will not just be lying to myself but to you too, and if that happens I will never ever forgive myself. This for the best, believe me." Viv scooted over to Lisa and her hugged her tight. "You're gonna be okay, I promise." Viv whispered and Lisa started to sob even harder. They sat like this for a while, just hugging, because in truth neither one of them wanted to pull away. Eventually Lisa did and asked "so where am I supposed to go?"
"I've actually talked to Mitch and she's willing to take you in, for the time being." Lisa nodded silently and went to the bedroom to pack. Viv meanwhile sat down on the couch and buried her face in her hands. She officially hated break-ups. Not that she hadn't been through one before, but this was different. Before, she could just shake it off like nothing ever happened. But this one felt deep, like a fresh open wound that would need a long time to heal.

"I've packed the essentials. I will need to come back another time for the rest of my stuff" Viv nodded "that's okay, just text me." Lisa sighed "so I guess this is it then" Viv gave her a weak smile. "yeah, I suppose so."
It stayed silent for another minute or so.
"right... I'll uh be off then." Lisa grabbed her suitcase and turned to go. "yeah, I'll walk you to the door." Viv opened the front door for her and felt a cold breeze on her face. "okay this might sound weird, but can we have on last kiss? As a final goodbye." Viv smiled and nodded "of course". They kissed and it was probably the most emotional kiss they'd ever shared. Viv pulled away, gave another weak smile and whispered; "goodbye Lisa" and with that she closed the door, not only of her house but also on this chapter. The chapter of Lisa and her