Prologue: collateral damage

The sand was warm as Alex hauled his injured friend to his feet allowing the other boy to lean on him for support as they made their way over to where the remaining members of their fellow mutants were all waiting.

"You just keep hold of me bud, just don't try to run or anything." Alex told his friend as he rubbed his back gently as they came to stand over where Charles and Moira were.

"His legs have been paralyzed, we need to take him to the hospital." Moira told the two boys as she and hank worked to assist Charles back to the jet when suddenly Alex and Sean froze mid-step before they knelt in front of the figure beside Charles.

Alex felt his heart drop as he recognized the injured figure half submerged in the water to be none other than Mina Winters her long dark curls were soaked with blood and several deep slash marks decorated her chest as she lay there barely conscious.

"Mina!!!" Sean exclaimed as they worked together to pull her free from the anchor chain that was wrapped tightly around her before they began to clean up the deep slash marks across their friend's chest tears stinging their eyes as they continued to take care of her.

"Don't you die on us Mina, not while you've still got fight left in you." Alex sobbed, as both boys leaned down to kiss their friend on the forehead.