Chapter 9 - A Shadow's Call

"That was wreckless of you."

Sheera lay on the foldaway cot at the back of the ship's cabin with her injured leg facing out. She hissed a breath in through her teeth and dug her fingers into the rails of the cot while Tech treated her injury with bacta spray.

"Kriff, that stings," she said.

"I acknowledge the bacta solution often elicits an unpleasant sensation on the wound," he said, "however, it is necessary to treat your injury before an infection takes hold."

Tech spoke in his usual detached manner, and Sheera felt heat bloom in her cheeks at his gentle touch. She saw a concerned look in his eyes, and her stomach twisted when he lowered his voice and locked his gaze with hers.

"Why did you attempt to neutralize the remaining scout troopers on your own?" he said. "Did you not realize your chances of success were far too low to warrant a solitary attack?"

Sheera swallowed hard to keep her tears from spilling out of her eyes. Why did she think she could take on the scout troopers by herself? She had no weapon and no time to find a way to ensnare them in the forest. Tech's assessment was completely justified; she had been foolish, and it had almost cost them everything.

Turning to face to the wall of the ship, she avoided meeting Tech's eyes or responding to his question. Hot tears streamed down her face, in part due to the pain emanating from her thigh and also due to the shame she felt.

Tech heaved a sigh and placed his hand gingerly on her leg as he applied a bacta patch. When he finished wrapping it with a gauze bandage, he placed a hand on Sheera's forehead.

She turned to face him again and seeing the look on his face caused a lump to form in her throat.

"I'm sorry, Tech," she said. "I never wanted to put any of you in danger."

"I'm aware of your desire to protect those in your care, Sheera," Tech replied. "I believe I share part of the blame for not insisting we stay together."

His hand lingered at her temple and a brief smile played across his lips.

"As part of our squad, we are charged with your care and well-being. We couldn't bear seeing any harm come to you," he said.

The corner of Sheera's mouth turned up in a smile.

"We?"

Tech merely held her gaze for a moment before returning to the pilot's seat.

~~~~~

Sheera panted heavily as she ran headlong through a tunnel. A dark presence pursued her through the corridor, and the sound of her feet slapping against the duracrete floor echoed off the walls. Water splashed up her legs and her hair felt damp and cold against her skin.

Her left leg buckled underneath her, and she fell to the ground, knocking the breath out of her lungs. She turned over to see a tall figure dressed in black standing above her. The features of the being were blurred except for its eyes. Red-rimmed, yellow orbs peered at her from the shadowy face. A snake-like voice spoke, the words drifting over her, instilling a sense of dread in the pit of her stomach.

"I see you, little Jedi. I see you and your friends working to thwart the Empire," the shadow figure said. "It is pointless to resist. Either you will turn your allegiance to us, or you will die."

Sheera tried to speak but could only make a few muffled sounds. When she brought her hand to the place where her mouth should have been, she recoiled when she felt nothing but smooth skin beneath her fingers.