Somewhere Pretty

[Another Animal Within AU! I wrote this early this morning. So enjoy my 1 AM writing spree and cry fest. Lol.

James would be included with the twins and Rei in the letter mentions, but I'm saying that this AU starts sometime after James Death in the AW canon.]

Nova was sick. And it was only getting worse.

"Divakar?"

"Yeah Nova? What is it? Do you need something? Water? Food?" Divakar asked quickly rushing over. A medic was nearby and Divakar was refusing to listen to him. But Nova had heard every word.

"I wanna die somewhere pretty. Please?" She said, quietly. Her eyes never focused on him. "I wanna feel normal for once."

Divakar's heart raced in his chest. He looked at the door, window. Nonononono this wasn't happening. Not now.

"Divakar?" She questioned.

"Y-yeah. We can... we can get you somewhere pretty. We have time."

Divakar quickly scribbled letters out to both the twins and Rei.

"Nova's state is worse. Doctors keep saying she only has a few weeks left.

I'm holding out hope but...

She wants to be somewhere pretty. If you're reading this we've already left. I'm bringing her home. Back to the woods. It's the prettiest place I can think of.

Praying we make it there.

Worried, Divakar."

He shoved the letters in his pockets. Then set to work preparing. He ended up buying two mounts, one for supplies and one to ride with Nova.

"Shams and Artemis. Those are nice names. What do you think?"

Divakar hummed in agreement, trying not to look his sister in the eyes. He couldn't at the moment. He should. He felt selfish not to.

As they got ready to go, Divakar found someone willing to deliver his letters. And with that he finished packing up.

An hour later he helped Nova into a small cart that he had rigged to the deer, Artemis. He had put blankets and pillows about to make it comfortable.

Divakar got onto Artemis, sucking in a deep breath. He pulled the reins and they started off. Shams the Fox following alongside Nova's cart.

There was lots of talking. Mainly Nova. He never heard her talk as much as she was now. Rambling on about the littlest things.

"I hope we see a ladybug on our way there. My books say their small."

"Divakar, do you know shrimp can see more colors then we do? I don't know what a shrimp is but I'm jealous."

"I think I'm scared of jellyfish after reading this book—"

"You know I don't think I've ever seen a bee either. Why is that?"

"Divakar? Can you do that thingy with your voice?"

"What?"

"You know where you make everything rhyme and your voice sounds really pretty."

"Sing? You want me to sing?"

"Yes please! You never sing."

Divakar sighed, going over lyrics in his head.

"Call the nightingale
There is heartache in this town
And the stars are just old lights
I can see them falling down,

I'm not scared of the dark
It's been less bite and more bark
I'm not scared of the end
Life always begins again"

Nova hummed, joining him partly in the second half of the lyrics.

"Call the nightingale
There is heartache on your lips
And your heart's a foreign house
And your soul is full of rips

But don't be scared of the dark
It's been less bite and more bark
Don't be scared of the end
Life always begins again

With the songs of nightingales
With the songs of nightingales."

They finished the makeshift duet, and shifted into silence. When Divakar looked over their shoulder, Nova was sleeping peacefully. He smiled softly, turning around to keep them on track.

"C'mon, Nova. We're here. Your somewhere pretty." Divakar said, his voice a mix of a bittersweet sadness and excitement. He was trying to be happy for her. But he was shaking. Terrified.

Nova blinked, her eyes opening slowly. She yawn, muttering as she spoke. "'Mplace pretty?" She murmured.

"Yeah, c'mon." He helped her out of the cart, wrapping her in a blanket and walking her over to nice spot where they used to play. Or well. Where they used to play with Nevaeh. He sat her down, rubbing circles on her back.

"Can we play games while we wait?" Nova asked, looking out at the scenery. Her voice sounded oddly calm to him. Too calm for someone... well...

He felt selfish wanting her to fight this fate.

And she seemed so tired.

"Of course we can."

And that's where the two of them would make camp. Waiting, playing, talking. Divakar promised himself to keep her happy. He would snuggle with her and love on her and do whatever she wanted.

He just wanted her to safe for once.

To feel like she had something stable.

To feel normal.

Whatever made her happy.

[Word Count: 763]