Prologue

Nearing the end of the first century of house Targaryen's reign, King Jaehaerys was the fourth king to sit upon the Iron Throne, alongside his Queen Alysanne

Nearing the end of the first century of house Targaryen's reign, King Jaehaerys was the fourth king to sit upon the Iron Throne, alongside his Queen Alysanne. After a prosperous and peaceful reign under their rule for over sixty years, many tragedies were faced that took the lives of the King's sons. The King and Queen had lost much more than just their two sons. They had lost many children over the time King Jaehaerys had sat upon the Iron Throne, plaguing the realm in fear over the absence of an obvious heir. Resulting in the King's need to call a Great Council to answer the questions of succession that swirled around Westeros throughout this period. In the year 101 AC, the King called this Great Council, and over a thousand Lords travelled to Harrenhal to decide the fate of the Realm. The claim to the Iron Throne was available to many of the descendants of the King, but only two were ever truly considered.

The first significant claim was Princess Rhaenys Targaryen; the King's eldest descendant who already had both a son and daughter with her husband Lord Corlys of House Velaryon. The second claim that was considered was the Prince Viserys Targaryen; the King's eldest male descendant who was wed to Aemma of house Arryn with one daughter and another babe in his wife's womb. Both had the strongest claim to the throne, but it was known by all that a woman would not sit on the iron throne, even with a son to secure her claim. This left Prince Viserys Targaryen to be chosen by the Lords of the realm to be named heir to the Iron Throne due to him simply being a man. The King knew the significance of calling the Great Council. For her was painfully aware that the only thing capable of tearing the house of the dragon to apart was itself.

Viserys Targaryen, the heir to the Iron Throne, had one young daughter named Rhaenyra and a pregnant wife during the Great Council. Many hoped it would be a boy to further secure the claim to the throne and ensure peace within the realm. No one hoped for this more than Viserys himself. However, following the great council on a warm summer day, a daughter was born to the prince Viserys and his lady wife Aemma. Laerella Targaryen, despite being born a girl with white-blond hair and soft lavender eyes, was a treasure to her family and the realm. The birth of Laerella struck joy in the capital and realm, had with the birth of her elder sister Rhaenyra Targaryen and with every other new Targaryen. Similar to every young Targaryen, a dragon egg was picked out to be put in the cradle of the babe in hopes it will hatch, and to ensure the young princess will have a lifelong companion. The dragon egg placed in her cradle was white and gold, looking as pure and innocent as the new addition to the house of the dragon. This dragon egg had been carefully chosen by none other than her uncle Daemon Targaryen, Viserys' younger brother.

No one supported Viserys claim to the throne more than his brother, though no one was ever positive if it was because The Rogue Prince thought Viserys capable of being King or simply because without a son, Daemon was next in line inherit the throne. Despite his hunger for power and freedoms, it was evident that he loved his nieces. The only thing that seemingly made the prince human was his love for his family. Rhaenyra even at a young age showed to be a true dragon. She was adventurous and wild, and loved by everyone she met. Her sister, Laerella, was just as loved, but she was often timid and generously kind. Many believed she was a reincarnation of the good Queen Alysanne, with her gentle nature and pure love for the people of Kings Landing. Despite the differences between Laerella and her uncle, there was no one she admired more. From a young age and following into a blossoming womanhood, Laerella held her uncle in the highest esteem. Prince Daemon, much like her eldest sister, was everything she had ever wanted to be. They were both gleefully carefree and courageous, in a way that Laerella had never been capable of being. This is not to say the young princess was weak, she was rather calculated and chose not to rely on her impulses fuelled by anger.

Laerella from the moment she could walk was being trained on how to be the perfect princess. She would study her histories, philosophies, and duties to please her parents. With her father becoming the King by the time she was at the age of three, there were many responsibilities already on the young princess. Despite having no choice in this, she appreciated her studies. The only thing she enjoyed more was spending time with her beloved dragon Meylex. It was one of her only activities that ensured that she was a true Targaryen. It was known throughout the capital that if one could not find the youngest princess, they must only look up to the sky, and they will surely find her.

With the troubles her family faced from the pressure her father put on all to have a son, an heir, she sought refuge with Meylex. Rhaenyra would frequently join her in this adventure, as she was also used to her father wishing that his daughters were the son he desired. They would soar through the sky together, only to return to their loving mother, who was more often than not with child. They spent their formative years together, joined at the hip, whether in the freedom of the skies or roaming the castle grounds with their dearest friend Lady Alicent of House Hightower. Laerella felt the closest to being free from the expectations of those around her when in their presence. Like everyone else she held dear, she had them in the greatest esteem.