Chapter #28 Break

*Veronica's POV*

I don't know why, but I couldn't stop thinking about that guy, Max. Not that he just came into my room unexpectedly and without my permission, but how he looked too! Few inches taller than me, curly short brown hair, average built I guess. I can remember people's looks and not care, but his looks made me shy. I spaced in and out in my classes, and the breaks just thinking about him.

It's not like any of it mattered anyway. Andy the others barely talked to me and hadn't texted me about anything magical. They have just started doing that before that weird gorilla thing appeared. They don't want to waste their time coming and going to the library if a monster isn't going to appear. So now they are going to text me or ask me ahead of time if a monster really showed up. If not they are not going to bother.

At the end of the school day I snuck into the library and put my back pack on the librarian's desk, wondering if I should read, or do my homework. I do have a quiz for my math class coming up. But that's only in a week. On that note I took out my fiction novel with Max appearing a few feet from me and scaring me!

"Jeez Max!" I yell out as the book fell out of my hand. "You should stop doing that!" I say as I pick the book back up.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to."

"Can you or this necklace warn me that you are going to appear?" I put it back down.

"Even though it is magic, it has its limits." He takes a few steps toward me.

"Damn." I sigh, trying to calm down from the scare.

My phone dings then dings revealing messages from the group chat I have with the boys. I didn't really care, but Max did and asked. "Who's that?" He asks, casually.

"Just my friends." I have no idea why I answered. I just met him and shouldn't have to explain anything.

Max sits on the table. "Do they know about your magic?"

I look up from my phone not interested in responding. "No. They are just whining about how their classes are 'so' easy."

Max crosses his arms and chuckles. "When aren't they?"

I put the phone down crossing my arms back at him. "So why are did you appear all of a sudden?"

"We did agree to talk about the necklace and maybe after we could talk about you being the United."

My heart keeps dropping when I hear the word United, but it wasn't about what it meant that starstruck me, it was hearing it coming from Max. He has a rough and deep voice, not like a villain in a tv series, but smooth and gentle.

"How did you know about that part?" I ask, stunned.

"I had to know. Jake told me all about it since I am your second aid. Even if he didn't tell me I could sense a lot of magic off of you, a lot more than a regular Ultimate actually." Max narrows his eyes and tilts head that made him look really oddly cute.

"I know I have a lot of power, including this weird book!" I was truly angry and frustrated, but didn't care that Max saw or knew. Not like I care about anyone else?

"Well, we will look over one ability at a time. First the simplest one: The magic necklace."

"And how do I exactly 'look' over that small power?"

Max stood up from the table and grinned, "We have to do that in a bigger space than these two rooms. Meet me in that big gym near the front of the school in a few seconds. That's enough space for the training."

"Will it take long?" I ask, remembering that I can only stay for an hour later, not like the other times since nothing has been happening.

He shakes his head, "No. I do doubt it. You are really powerful after all." There's that weird force against that werid invisible wall. I ignored it and agreed to meet up with him.

I rushed quietly to the gym with the sun still setting and giving me enough light to guide me to the gym which was surprisingly open. When I walked in I then saw Max leaning against the folded up raisers.

"How did you get the doors open?" I ask.

"Same way Jake did. Being a aid has it's very fun abilities." He chuckles, that made me smile seeing his own.

"So why did you want to train in here?" I wonder around the big space that was lit up with a few of those oval lights that hung above the gym.

"The library and the computer room are too crowded to concentrate on controlling the necklaces ability."

"And what is that ability anyway?" I ask.

"Making anything appear and reappear, from any realm."

"Realm?" That's what I got from all of that. "There are other realms?"

Max nodded and walked a few feet away from the raisers. "Yup. That's where me and other Ultimates come from. Ultimates are magical's that come here to protect humans from monsters since they can never be able to protect themselves.

"That is true." I say in my mind as I chuckle at his remark.

"Are you sure that I can be able to do this?" I ask unsure.

Max nods. "I'm sure of it. The necklace is supposed to be connected to your mind by now so you have complete control of when I can be seen by others."

I glance at the necklace and back to Max. "Ok if you say so." I sigh. "What should we try first?"

Max chuckles. "How about touch." Max comes closer standing one foot right in front of me and holds up his left hand. "Touch your hand?" I ask unsure of his gesture.

"Mmhm. Allow me to touch your hand to my hand with your mind." Max directs.

I slowly raise my hand up to his focusing on wanting to touch it back. As I stare at his hand and my hand started getting closer the book starts glowing faintly blue. Max did notice but didn't say anything so I could pay attention on the task.

My hand suddenly feels some kind of skin of his hand. "Oh my god!" I gasp in shock.

We both smile at each other and chuckle. "You did it!" He says proudly.

"Yeah and why is my necklace glowing?" I try to keep my focus as I ask, but it just had to make me loose contact. "Dang it!" I look back at my hand. "What happened?" I ask.

"You went on focusing on the glowing of the necklace that made you lost the focus of the touch of our hands." Max explained.

"Ugh sorry that was just weird." I say looking back up to him.

Max shrugs, "It's fine. Besides, it was quite impressive."

I look at him confused. "Impressive?"

Max chuckles. "Yeah, barely any magical who has had the necklace has gotten in contact with their second until like the 10th try."

"And yet I did it in my..."

"First try!" Max finishes for me, proudly. "And that's impressive." He continues grinning.

I scoff, "Well it's just tough, but I still need to practice more."

Max looks down and nods. "Yeah you're right."

I glance at the door seeing there was still sunlight outside. I look back to Max. "Oh I should go. I have to do some homework."

Max looks back at me and sighs. "Ok."

"Want to train tomorrow?" I ask, wanting to lighten up the mood.

He nods and smiles at me. "Sure." He says before I walk back to the library and pack up for the day.