(Chapter 15)

I licked my thumb and counted through the notes. A big smile appeared on my face, as I slid the wad of money into my bag. I turned back to Jason, who was looking kind of like he was regretting it already. I smirked and took a step towards him. Jason took one step back.

“So…” I said, slowly. “What do you need me to do?”

“I…uh…just need you t-to walk next to me,” he stuttered nervously. Big, popular Jock wasn’t being so cocky now. I tilted my head, staring into his wide, terrified eyes. Smirking, I reached out, my hand hovering over his cheek. Jason was looking completely freaked.

“Stop teasing him,” Keri said, rolling her eyes and pulling me away. Once we were out of Jason’s sight, she muttered to me, “God, if I didn’t know you, I would’ve thought you were a complete man-eater. Tone it down a bit.”

“Man-eater?” I asked, my eyes wide. “That was man-eater? I was just trying to freak him out a little, and maybe squeeze a couple more bucks out of him.”

“I thought you already had the money you needed.”

“Money is money. You always need more.”

Keri laughed. “You don’t want people to think you’re greedy, Ade. Instead, you should say, I wanted to bully him for money to donate to orphans or something. Though I’m pretty sure if you said that, I wouldn’t’ve believed you. Anyway, you’ve finally got the cash?”

“I’ve finally got the cash.”

“Then do you think you could let Nate out tonight? Only you’ve kind of been keeping him to yourself…”

“Oh,” I said, surprised. “Nate? I didn’t think of it like that. Sorry.”

“It’s fine. I was more worried about what you were doing with him during those long hours.”

“You were worried about what I was doing with him?” I repeated slowly, not really understanding. “Keri…Were you jealous?”

Keri sighed. “I guess I was. I’m sorry. Are you okay with that?”

Wow, Keri sounded mature. If I was jealous, I’m pretty sure I would’ve completely flipped out and cracked a couple skulls. I had no idea Keri was jealous…

“I’m fine with it. But Keri, you do realize that there’s absolutely nothing going on between me and Nate? It’s all platonic – and barely even that. I don’t like Nate, and he definitely doesn’t like me. I’m dating his brother!”

“I know that! she snapped. I backed away. Even though I was meant to be the overly-violent psychotic one, Keri had a pretty impressive temper and actually did some Judo with me. “But I guess it’s the way he looks at you. Do you notice it?”

“No…” I said, frowning. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. How does he look at me?”

“I don’t know, okay?” She sounded really annoyed. “It’s a sort of burning look, a look he gives no one else. I have no idea how to explain it…you really never noticed?”

“No!” I said quickly, shaking my head profusely. “I really, really didn’t! But isn’t burning meant to be a bad thing? Like burning hatred? Trust me, Keri, Nate doesn’t like me at all. We’re just childhood friends. He likes you.”

“Maybe…” Keri said, still looking kind of doubtful.

“Trust me,” I emphasized. “He likes you.”

“Yeah.” Keri smiled at me. “Maybe you’re right. After all, I’m not violent like you.”

“That’s true,” I said, nodding.