Soldier's Trial

The day has arrived.

The town of Hallik is filled with excitement. The small stone streets bustled with moving bodies. Triangular flags of different colors strung across many buildings, waving from the wind. Preparations for a festival is underway. The reason for the celebration, only the town knew.

A small party of four walked into the rustling streets.

"Why is the town active?" Silas asked.

"It's for you, kid." Lance replied.

"Seems like this town is always having some sort of festivity going on."

Snowflake walked closely beside Silas, holding onto his sleeve as a sign of their companionship.

"With King Garle residing here, there normally is a celebration of sorts going on." Maxwell added.

With the time spent with Silas, his deep voice never changed from being monotone.

"Regardless of the distraction, you need to stay focused, Silas. You don't know what your task will be to become a soldier," he warned.

"What did you have to do, Maxwell?" asked Silas.

"The two of us had to disarm six knights." he replied. "I believe your task will be difficult."

"Oh? Is it the color-"

Before Silas could finish, Lance slapped the back of Silas's head.

"You know it isn't like that, kid."

"I am joking." Silas replied.

"We must leave know, Silas. Our job here is done and if our paths cross once more, so be it. I believe you can do whatever task is asked of you."

Maxwell nodded and began to walk away.

"Remember all your training, kid. I'm sure we will work together later, so until then." Lance said.

As Silas and Snowflake watched as they both walked away.

"Not a detailed explanation on what I'm supposed to do." Silas muttered.

"I know you can figure it out!"

"Thanks, Snow."

Before Silas and Snowflake could make their way towards the castle, Silas felt a presence behind him. He looked behind him as a hand is gently placed on his shoulder.

"Oh, your highness!" Silas said in surprise.

The king laughed.

"Please, no need for that, young Silas. How are you, my boy?" Garle genuinely asked.

"I've grown much already, Garle," he replied.

The king smiled and laughed once more.

"That is very good to hear." He then turned towards Snowflake, "And who is this fine maiden?"

"This is Snowflake. Her parents wanted her to see the world, so I agreed to take her with me."

"Ah, I hope he is taking care of you, little one."

"H-he is your...your highness!"

"Good, now come with me my boy, we have something to discuss."

Silas and Snowflake followed King Garle inside the castle and through the beautifully lit halls. The sunlight spilled through the clear glass windows and reflected off the shiny floors. Candles flickered on the chandeliers that floated above. The halls were decorated to a minimum with unique flowers.