Chapter 1: Year 103 (After the Great War)

A/N: Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you had a lovely Christmas, and here's  present for you all.

The smell of bacon woke Shen Yu enough to get out of bed. He woke up long enough to ensure that he had the lion's share and then went to wash up. The breakfast served by the Institute was varied, but was unseasoned enough to make up for it. Shen Yu would like it to be made clear that this was not a compliment. The Institute was given enough funds that seasonings could be bought, but the directors were far more interested in lining their pockets to think about feeding the children in their 'care'. 

Shen Yu's daily mental rant on the subject was cut off by the rare appearance of the Institute's director in the Mess.(Yes, the room deserved the capital letter. It was the personification of all the meanings of the word.) The director entered along with a boy of Shen Yu's age, making eyebrows all around the room shoot upwards. The only new people that entered the Institute were either newborns or the staff. The newcomer looked to be 7 at best.

"Everyone, we have a transfer from one of the other branches of the Institute. They had a shortage of space so we agreed to take in one of their wards. Go on and introduce yourself to the kids."

"....."

"....."

".. Liu Feng."

"....."

"....."

".. Treat your new sibling well. Now back to breakfast everyone. The classes will be postponed for today. Take this opportunity to integrate our new member."

The director left the room, leaving the new arrival as the focus of the room's attention. He was scrutinized from head-to-toe, the stares looking for chinks, weaknesses and finding none. Liu Feng proved equal to the challenge and had passed the first step of acceptance. Now for the second and final test.

Survive a meeting with Shen Yu.