Chapter 16: Out And About

The next day, everyone brought the vehicles to the farm. Hershel was allowing us to camp here until I was back on my feet, which my brother was grateful for. Shane had also shaved his head for a new look as he puts it, but I know he's hiding something. He's been acting weird since he got back from getting the equipment to fix me up. We also got to know the people of the house. 

There was Hershel, an older man with white hair and a thick country tone. He has three daughters, Maggie, Beatrice, and Beth. Maggie is the oldest and really serious most of the time. She's very kind to Atticus and Carl though. She also asks about Glenn from time to time, so I think there's some tension between those two. Beatrice is actually Maggie's half sister, since her mom married Maggie's dad before all this. She's sweet and has been spending a lot of time with me. Atticus has also taken a liking to her and according to Beatrice, she's the only one out of the family that he'll let hold him. Beth is the youngest and is Beatrice's full sister. She's really kind and innocent. I think she's dating Jimmy, but I'm not really sure. 

Jimmy is a typical country teenage boy with an attitude and cockiness. Patricia is or.... was married to Otis, who got attacked on the run with Shane, at least that's what he said. That's everyone on the farm and only my son, and I are allowed to sleep in the house until I'm back on my feet, so the rest of them have to set up camp outside, close to the house. 

Turns out that Sophia hasn't been found yet. Daryl and others have been searching the woods off and on, hoping to find her. Atticus hasn't been able to tell anyone what happened out there, but he hasn't really left my side, which I don't mind. Everyone had been doing things outside the house, but I've been confined to bed rest for the last few days. I was starting to go stir crazy, but people came to see me from time to time. 

"Knock Knock" I looked towards the door, where Beatrice was leaning against the door frame with her usual smirk that I had noticed she always wore. 

"Hey..." She smiled wider as I sat up straighter with my back against the bed's headboard with my son sleeping next to my. His head was on my lap as I ran my fingers through his hair. Beatrice walked in and took a seat on the edge of the bed, putting her hand on my leg. 

"How are you feeling this morning?" Her voice was raspy, almost like she just rolled out of bed. 

"I feel fine.... Just going crazy, stuck in bed all day" I muttered, looking down at Atticus, who stirred slightly, gripping the blanket in his hand. Beatrice chuckled quietly, grabbing my attention again as she bit her lip slightly. 

"On the plus side, daddy say's you should be good to try walking today, if you're up for it" A wide, relieved smile spread on my face as I nodded, maybe a little too enthusiastically. 

"Yes.... Please, it's so boring!" I groan out, slightly loudly, earning another chuckle from Beatrice as Atticus moaned, stirring. He slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. 

"Sorry bubba, I didn't mean to wake you" I picked him up carefully, sitting him in between my legs as he yawned. 

"Morning sleepy head" Atticus turned his attention to Beatrice, smiling. 

"Beatwice!" He exclaimed happily, holding his arms towards her. She laughed loudly, making me happy as the sound was like music to my ears. Beatrice picked the small boy up into her arms, tossing him slightly, which caused him to let out a string of giggles. 

"What do you say we try to help mommy get out of bed? I think she'd like some fresh air, what do you think buddy?" My son just nodded excitedly before looking to me with his wide, toothy smile. 

"Well momma, you ready to get up?" Beatrice raised her eyebrow at me with Atticus on her hip. I rolled my eyes before smiling. 

"As ready as I'll ever be" It took a bit, but with Beatrice to keep me steady, I was able to take my first steps in about four days. Beatrice sent Atticus outside to find my brother, while she helped me get changed into a pair of jean shorts, a loose fitted white t-shirt, and my combat boots.