BASTARD: chapter thirty-nine

cloud

cloud

Ever since Raiden left, I haven't been able to stop worrying. A nagging feeling in the back of my mind worried that something will go wrong. It was like Murphy's law: anything that can go wrong will go wrong. To try and clear my mind, I walk around pack lands, but it's no use. The more I do so, the more my mind runs wild. It's only when a hand is placed on my shoulder that I get a brief escape.

Turning around, I see Gaius' mate—Onyx—standing there.

"I didn't know you were here," I say.

He shrugs. "I just got here with Quinn," he gives me a small smile before adding, "You look like you're about to pass out from worry. You need to calm down."

I can't help but scoff at that. "That's easier said than done. Are you telling me that you aren't worried about Gaius?"

Onyx's eyes look around at our surroundings before he takes my hand and leads me away. I try to ask him what we're doing, but he doesn't bother to reply. Instead, we continue to walk in silence. Well, Onyx walks in silence while I tell him off and try to get out of his grip. It's only when Raiden's home comes into view that he loosens it.

"I didn't want to talk where we could be overheard," he explains. "I don't know how much the pack already knows and didn't want to cause panic. Let's talk inside."

Giving him a side eye, I pull my arm away from him and unlock the door. I step inside and Onyx follows suit, making sure to close and lock the door after entering. He walks around before taking a seat on the couch and looks at me to do the same.

Once we're both seated, he says, "You asked me if I was worried about Gaius. Of course, I am — I mean, he is my mate and after everything that happened last time, it's only natural," I open my mouth to speak, but he stops me. "But, I also know that Gaius is much more aware than he was last time and I know that he isn't alone. There are more of them this time. They'll be okay."

His words are spoken with a voice of confidence. He looks at me and his eyes soften.

"I may not know him all too well, but Raiden will be okay. If Alpha Tatum decided to send him then there must be a reason."

"That doesn't stop me from thinking up the worse possible scenarios," I admit.

Even though Raiden and I aren't on the best of terms right now, I still care about him. He's still my mate and I don't want to lose him.

"And you won't," Onyx tells me. "He's going to come back, we're going to get your beta back and end this once and for all. We're all going to move on with our lives once this is over and be happy."

Happy.

The word felt foreign to hear. I wasn't happy before I was taken, I wasn't happy at the lab, I wasn't happy when I came back, and now with everything going on, I still can't say that I am happy. The idea that I one day could say that I am happy felt like an alternate universe.