Chapter 14

"Hello, who am I speaking to please?"

"Dad? It's Alex."

"Alex? You're alright? I was worried I would never see you again."

"Well, I'm ok dad. I have Em with me. We wanted to find you. Could you perhaps come to us. I can tell you where we are, and there's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Um....I'm not sure that's possible Alex. I'm not able to get out of bed."

"Oh, god. Are you ok?"

"That's a stupid question Alex. I watched your mother die in an explosion when I was right outside the house. I was lucky to not be killed myself. I can't....well you'll see when you get here. "

He gave them his address again and Alexander and Emily went back to Mrs Evans and Alice.

"Our dad needs us to go to him" Alexander explained and repeated what he had said.

"Oh my dear, you should go to him" Mrs Evans replied.

"I don't think Em should see him like this," Alexander said "he can't get out of bed. I don't want Em to see him in pain."

"I'll look after her, you two should go," Mrs Evans told them "your dad will want to see you."

Emily wasn't happy about staying behind "Allie I want to go. I want to see daddy again."

"I know you do Em, but dad isn't well at the moment. When he's better I'll take you to see him. How does that sound?" Alexander asked.

"Ok," Emily replied "What can we do while they're gone Mrs Evans?"

"Well we could play some games? Or I could read you one of my favourite books I had when I was a little girl, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland."

"I don't think I've read that one before. Let's do that. But you have to do proper voices."

Mrs Evans laughed "alright I will. I promise."

"We'd better get going Mrs Evans," Alexander said "we'll be back as soon as we can."

"There's no need to rush dear, we'll be alright. Spend some time with your dad."

"I will, we'll see you soon. Thanks for looking after Em."

"You're welcome" Mrs Evans replied as they walked out the door into the cold evening.

Alexander and Alice wandered down the street and headed for the underground station. Luckily, they both had some money from their time in Edinburgh. They now could use the trains properly.

They headed into South Kensington station and boarded a train for Whitechapel.

"I don't see why we couldn't have just walked there" Alice said.

"It's miles to Whitechapel though? We wouldn't get there until tomorrow if we'd walked there."

"Still I don't see why we couldn't have waited until tomorrow. This train is rather busy."

Unfortunately, due to it being past 6 o clock, the train was very busy with people returning home from work. Alexander and Alice were being pushed around and were unable to get a seat.

When the train did pull into Whitechapel Alexander got off first and turned around to give Alice a hand getting off the train. She didn't take his hand and jumped off instead, falling over in the process.

Alexander caught her. "I know we're dating but you don't need to fall for me" he teased.

"Oh, be quiet," Alice snapped as Alexander smirked. God she loved when he did that. "Now where do we go from here?"