Stuck with Me

A few weeks after the attack, Riven and Musa's training had become Riven's favourite part of the day. Musa was improving immensely, and the rush he got from sparing with her was unlike anything he'd felt before, like he was finally alive. Training with her was fun. Being around her, Riven couldn't help smiling. It was weird. But nice. Which made it hurt more when he saw Musa struggling. Although Musa was getting used to her powers again, there was still a huge weight that had been thrust onto her shoulders. He knew it was bad before, she had told him as much, but this was different. She was already the 'most powerful mind fairly in Alfea' but with these new enhancements thanks to Sebastian there was even more pressure to perform. Riven was getting too familiar with how Musa's face contorted with pain. He knew the expression by heart, saw it when she entered a particularly busy room or as she made her way through the packed halls. Saw the discrete way she would cling to the wall or nearby railing, the extra support seeming to be the only thing keeping her upright. The flinch along with the sharp intake of air whenever she entered a class, the rush of emotions overwhelming her senses. He wished there was something he could do, something anyone could do, to make it even a little bit easier for her, but there was nothing, so Riven had to settle for being by her side.

The new headmistress, Eveline, seemed pleasant enough, but that fact that Luna had appointed and her was a definite red flag. Her private classes did seem to be helping Musa though, even if she always came back from the sessions drained and barely functioning. Musa always said it was fine, she was just being "pushed" so she could have better control. Riven wasn't buying it. Not all the bruises on her skin were from training, and Musa was pretty cagey about what went on during her time with Eveline, which only made him more suspicious. But Musa said it helped, so he stayed out of it. She needed this more than he needed to protect her.

Riven's sense of foreboding only grew when Musa told him she needed to maintain an illusion of strength, that she wasn't sure what would happen if she was seen spiralling or losing control. The fear of mind fairies had been amplified since the blood witches' attack, everyone was terrified of what the witches had done with the ability to control people's bodies and Musa's powers too closely resembled them, they were a reminder of the horrors inflicted that day, of the loss of life, of the feeling of being a puppet, stripped of free will and made to serve. Luna explained that if anyone asked for Musa's expulsion she would have to oblige, as it was true, Musa was dangerous when left untamed. Riven was glad she was dangerous, it meant she was a threat, and he did his best to increase her abilities every time they trained, if people let their fear get the best of them, Musa would know how to defend herself. There were benefits to being wild.

Riven was very aware of this danger during one of their now regular sparring sessions, Musa was improving rapidly, almost meeting him move for move, and he couldn't help feeling a bit of pride, she had come so far and worked so hard. She was powerful not just because she was a fairy but because every time she was knocked down she got back up, ready to learn and be better the next time around, he had seen third-year specialists with less determination and resilience. She was amazing. After finishing their workout, the pair were making their way back to the main hall when Musa's eyes suddenly lit up and she gasped out in pain,
"Woah there, easy. Let's get you outside"
"Riv, I can't seem like I'm out of control"
"I know, just hold my hand and lean into my side, we'll just seem like a cute couple, okay?"
Riven was trying to expel calm emotions, if only for Musa's sake, but her laboured breathing and the amount of weight she was putting on him made his stomach churn. He walked her over to a nearby tree, where they sat leaning against the trunk as he rubbed small circles onto her back. Riven was getting used to these sudden outbursts of power, always on guard for the next, making sure that she would be okay, yet every time he felt like he was being plunged into cold water, the realisation of all the ways being an empath could torture you hitting hard.