Chapter Four: Coffee

I invited Angel for lunch because I Honestly just wanted to see her. But now that I've gotten to I can't stop thinking about her and that foot of hers grazing my leg.

I know it was only an accident. Just the way she looked at me I could tell from her eyes she didn't mean it.

But my body didn't seem to understand that as it reacted the opposite of what I wanted to.

I can't have her. She is completely off-limits for me to have any romantic connections with, and as a long-lasting friend of her dad's, I respect that to the extent of not touching or sleeping with her. But these visions made up in my head about her are something else.

Now that I've sent her back to my place with a full stomach to watch over Pat I'm back at my desk typing emails for my new employee Bart Jenson to let him know what all of the regulations are for working with me.

I have high expectations from him as he's well-trained in business life and worked for Sunnys one of the wealthiest businesses in the state of New Jersey. So I can't wait to see how this man works Monday morning.

A knock on the door takes me out of my train of thought and I immediately call them in.

"Forgive my intrusion sir a needy employee is wanting to speak with you."

I look up from my computer for the first time and lean back into the cushion of my seat and exhale a sign knowing exactly who it is.

"Alright let him in," I say straightening in my seat and moving a few things on my desk putting them in neat piles.

"Mr. Matthews?"

Before looking up from my desk I display a fake smile across my face. "Parker, what can I help you with today?" I ask trying to keep my voice level to not seem rude, but the thing is I already know what he's going to ask for. Money a lot of it.

"Sir I'm in desperate need of this raise I can't survive a normal life with my family. We're about to lose the very home that I and my wife first moved into when we got married five years ago. I already had to sell my car just to pay the electric bill, please sir can you help me? I promise this time I won't ever ask again."

I could see the sincerity in his eyes and hear the desperation in his voice but why does he keep promising and break it by returning to my office in the need of money? Wasn't the ten grand enough back two months ago?

"I can't give you more money I'm sorry you'll just have to wait tomorrow like every other employee does and get their jobs done."

"I can't wait till tomorrow I need it now!" He bangs his fist on my desk in sudden anger.

"Watch your tone with me Parker you can't afford to be fired today can you?" I say with sternness. His eyes widen and then soften as he sits back down in the cushioned chair in front of the desk.

"Forgive me, sir, I've been stressed lately."

"Let me ask you something. What happened to the ten thousand I gave you did you use it all already? And isn't eleven an hour enough to make a living?" I say cocking a brow.

I watch every movement he makes with his eyes, hands, and legs. In case I'm missing something about this guy.

"The ten thousand went towards the bills and food in those past two months." He said but he didn't show off any signs of nervousness. Not one.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much maybe he's sincerely in the need of help.

"I'll try and work something out for you and the other employees. As you should know I give equal treatment to all employees, not just one." I say.

His eyes light up and he quickly stands out of his chair. "Thank you, sir, I'll get back to work now sir." He extends his hand out for a handshake. I take it in a firm grip.

Once Parker turned and left I lean back in my chair and roll my eyes then call in my assistant.

Not long she comes walking in.

"Can I help you, sir?" Julia asks.

"Yes make sure everyone gets their raise today, don't ask questions please, and just get it done."

"Right away sir." She nods and heads back out.

***

I head into the house after a long exhausting day of work and start up a shower. I head to my bedroom and sit on the end of the bed and slip off my shoes and set them on the rake on the wall.

I head back to the bathroom and close and lock the door. I strip out of my clothes and take a quick shower.

Once I'm finished I wrap a towel around my waist and head to the bedroom and change into a pair of boxers and slip into bed.

The sun has risen and I'm awake and can hear movement downstairs in the kitchen. I get out of bed and before I head down I put on a pair of jeans, socks, and a comfortable t-shirt.

I notice it's oddly quiet and look down at the kennel where Pat sleeps and he's missing.

Was he there last night? I didn't even bother to check last night.

I head downstairs to the kitchen where Angel is, and her seeming to notice my presence she turns around with a bright smile spreading across her cheeks holding out a hot cup of coffee.

"Coffee? I swear I've improved greatly since the last time." She lets out a soft laugh.

I smile at the sudden memory. She was only twelve at the time on a Christmas morning. She wanted to surprise me and her dad with breakfast and coffee. The meal was good and simple but that coffee was overpowered by way too much coffee grounds. Too strong for my taste.

I pull out a chair to take a seat and she set the mug down in front of me.

"Thank you," I say and put the mug to my lips to take a sip of the hot coffee as those blue eyes lock onto mine. I don't look away. I don't plan to.

I take a sip and set the mug down on the counter. Angel was right she had improved since then. It's one of the best sips of morning coffee I've tasted.

"It's good right?" she asks eagerly moving her eyes up and down between the cup and me.

A laugh escapes me. The way she looks at me is just so freaking cute.

"It's not? Darn it, I even practiced my coffee-making skills just so you could start off a good morning with a good cup of coffee." She Frowns and grabs my mug. But before she could take it and dump it I put my hand over hers and take it back.

"No, it's good."