Game Day

"I got it" one of my teammates called out

We all watched as Julie my best friend spiked the ball to the other side of the net. We all stood waiting for the ball to hit the ground but it never did. One of my opponents dived and bounced the ball into the air before it hit the ground. Watching the ball come back to our side we all ran towards it except every single one of us missed it.

We watched the other team celebrate, knowing we were tied for the last set. We came into this game knowing there was a chance we would lose against them. Did we want to lose? Of course not, who does? As our hits got sloppier towards the end of the game, the other team took advantage, and now we are tied. The last point wins the game which means there is a 50% chance we could take this win home.

After a short break we all stood in our spots ready to take the win, but judging by the looks on everyone's faces they were just as nervous as I was. If we won this game this meant we would finally be able to go to the championship rounds.

Resuming my attention to the game, I watched as one of them served the ball to our side. I quickly sprung into action and got into position to hit the ball back to the other side. Once I hit it I barely had time to register that not only did they hit the ball back to us but Julie was setting the ball yelling for me to hit it.

"You got this Izaria," she said once she set the ball

Running as fast as I could I jumped into the air feeling the world around me become non-existent. I looked at the ball and released all the built-up anger I held in and smacked the ball so fast nobody could block it.

Hearing the loud cheers of everyone around us I ran up to Julie and hugged her.

"I can't believe we just did that, You should have seen the way you spiked the ball. You did amazing." She smiled at me

"Aww you were amazing yourself, We finally got a major win for the school. Can you believe it?" I said bursting with excitement once we pulled away from the hug

"I actually can, not only did we just score ourselves a spot at championships but we finally are gonna get a trophy to show off." She looked at the trophy being passed around through our teammates.

We quickly made our way to the team to celebrate with them. Everyone congratulated me on scoring the game-winning shot. I couldn't be happier with myself.

I had always loved volleyball or playing any sport in general, I just took more of a liking towards volleyball. I have been on the team since my freshman year of high school, the team started pretty rocky. Rest assured as the years went on we all created a bond and it made the team stronger and more united.

We all thought as one and moved as one on and off the court. We stuck together no matter what, even after a loss we didn't dwell on it. We all sat together and agreed on what we could do better. It helped a lot this last year, and so far we have been unbeatable.

My mom was my number one supporter in all things. When she passed away I leaned into the team more rather than my own family. They walked me through it all, They are the reason I am still here today. Without them, I can't tell you where I would be.

None of my family comes to my games, my sister only does when they are cheering for us. She rarely acknowledges me, My brother is the same way. He plays basketball and since he just graduated since he applied to do it early, he doesn't even want to be in the school.

My sister, Brother, and Dad all believe I am the reason my mom passed away. I spent the most time with her and I was even there when she collapsed.

-Flashback