|I{•------» [32] «------•}I|

Sarutobi Ruka glanced at the chunin bowing their thanks and wasted no time before scurrying out of the door, sensing the building tension within the room. The faint clicks of the door closing behind them echoed through the silent room, and only then did Ruka turn back to meet her grandfather's and her uncle's gaze.

He stared at her, and she stared right back, and it was in that headstrong gaze that he saw a sight that truly made his heart plummet to his stomach, confirming his worst fears.

"What happened inside the forest, Ruka?" Hiruzen asked, his voice tinged with concern.

His granddaughter arched a dubious brow, her expression showcasing just how unimpressed she currently was. "Why ask when you already know?"

Hiruzen sighed, his hands twitching over his pipe. "Ruka, this is a grave situation. I expect you, of all people, to know that. Withholding information because you plan to handle it yourself places the lives of so many innocents in danger. One cannot be selfish in the face of an enemy whose power you cannot even begin to understand."

"Are you speaking now as my grandfather or as the Third Hokage?" Ruka countered, her voice laced with frustration.

Hiruzen could see the effect of all her pent-up emotions clawing away inside of her. "Ruka, this village, the people, cannot afford for you to keep secrets at a time like this—"

"You want to talk to me about keeping secrets?" Ruka interrupted, disbelief evident in her voice as her brows knitted together. "You don't get to lecture me about keeping secrets when both of you did the same."

Asuma, her uncle, began to speak, but Ruka cut him off with a harsh snap, causing him to recoil. She took a step back, increasing the distance between them. "Don't. Out of all people, I trusted you the most. You promised me you'd never keep anything from me. I trusted you."

Asuma's eyes widened as he heard the crack in Ruka's voice, and tears welled up in her eyes. "Ruka..."

"So why me?" Ruka glared at him bitterly, gesturing towards her grandfather, who had remained strangely quiet throughout the ordeal. "Out of all people, why me?"

Hiruzen Sarutobi looked up from his desk, guilt clouding his eyes. "There was a prophecy... two prophecies, at least," he said carefully, locking eyes with Ruka. "One that held the fate of the world in its hands, and another... one that altered the balance of the world."

Ruka clenched her fist as she listened, her anger simmering beneath the surface. "I believed that one day... there would be another war, the most important one... When I found out that you have Lord First's cells, and that it altered the balance of the world..."

"I did what I thought was best," Hiruzen whispered. "Sealing the beast inside you, just in case."

"My whole existence was just used as a weapon," Ruka said, turning away from him in disbelief as a bitter chuckle escaped her lips. "My life has no meaning."

Asuma reached out, wanting to take hold of her before the damage became irreparable. "Ruka, I know you're angry—"

"I'm not," she denied instantly, blinking rapidly to hold back the tears threatening to spill. "I just wonder if there will ever be a day when my life will be worth more than just a weapon for this village."

Hiruzen was ready to deny her assumptions, to tell her how much more she meant to them than

that, but a sudden knock on the closed door interrupted their conversation. "Uh, Lord Hokage?" The door creaked open, revealing a nervous-looking chunin peering inside. "The first two names have been drawn. Princess Ruka... her name was drawn. They say we can't wait much longer."

"Tell Anko and Hayate to give us five more minutes. There is something we must handle first—"

"No need," Ruka cut him off, already making her way towards the door, her walk stiff and determined. Asuma called out her name anxiously. "You don't have to do this."

"Asuma is right. You have no idea of the consequences you'll face if you enter that match right now. This is not a game," Hiruzen warned her sternly, causing her to pause at the door.

"Don't worry. I'm the strongest," she said, giving them a malicious grin. Her last words to them sent shockwaves through their beings. "Besides, as weapons, we're disposable, aren't we, Lord Third?"