one. kinslayer

( season of the witch )
❛ i'm your sister! ❜
▇▇▇ . . . kinslayer ▇▇▇

IN THIS WORLD, where men are respected and women do not question their place in society, Amora was born to defy. But she was born a woman, so she was still bound by the rules set by the men of her House.

It made her very uncomfortable, but it wasn't enough to stop her from trying to break them all. So she spent many hours reading anything she could get her hands on, and learning the secrets behind the knowledge that men refused to share with her. She was fascinated, in a way, by the world and what the people had done with it. She would have loved to take one step further and know why things were the way they were.

She learned from books about how people had lived before the Conquest, how they had built cities out of nothing, what life had been like before dragons, with each land having their own King.

She also read through the history books the Maesters kept, making sure she knew the things her father had forbidden, such as how there had once been an Age when the First Men would be at war with the Children of the Forest.

When she got older, Amora began looking into other  subjects, too— like magic. She knew very well the Drowned God was against witchcraft, but she wanted to know more about what else might exist out there. If there were dragons, giants, creatures that 'sang the song of Earth', and other Gods besides He Who Dwells Beneath the Waves, then  there had to be something else. Something worth knowing.

She felt a connection with those stories, somehow. A feeling of belonging. Even when she didn't understand why. So she found herself searching for answers. And she soon discovered one particular book, red as blood and bound in leather, which looked old, though still in good condition. In fact, it looked almost new. It hadn't even been damaged by fire or water. But when Amora pulled the book open, she saw that the pages were blank.

There was nothing written on it, nothing at all. No title or author. Just black. But she could feel the power within, just waiting to be used. And yet . . . She never looked at it again.

     Despite forgetting about the book that sat on her nightstand, Amora continued studying, and that alone was enough for her brother— and Lord of Pyke, to accuse her of practicing the dark arts. She denied it every time, of course, but he still didn't relent. He was obsessed with the idea— or rather nightmare, thar his sister had been drawn into darker pursuits than he would ever allow. That perhaps she'd been tempted— not only by the dark arts, but by the monsters that dwelt beyond the ocean's surface. That perhaps, the Storm God was responsible.

     Eventually, Dalton raided her chambers and found the book, using it as proof of her being a witch. Amora protested, but he wasn't having any of it. He locked her in a dungeon cell, where she'd be confined until the day of her execution.

     "Are you enjoying this, brother?" She hissed bitterly, pacing back and forth inside the tiny and filthy cell. Amora would have never expected that Dalton would imprison her so thoroughly, but that was exactly what he'd done.

     Dalton scoffed, his face twisted in a mixture of frustration and betrayal. "I did not want this to happen, Amora, but you gave me no choice," he replied in a whisper, his voice sounding oddly gentle.

     His hands were trembling slightly. But he wouldn't look at her; Dalton was furious with her, but also with his own self. He was blaming himself for letting his sister succumb to such darkness. 

     Amora laughed harshly shaking her head in disbelief. Her fingers curled around the iron bars, nails digging into her palms painfully. "I'm your sister! Your twin. And you decided I should die because I have a stupid old book? You're a cruel man." Amora spat the last words, venom dripping from every syllable. Her gaze narrowed to slits. "You'll be a kinslayer, Dalton, and no man will follow one who kills his own kin."