Part 14

Severus was pacing the length of his office. He actually met with that lawyer, drew up a whole new contract that will make the marriage contract null and void. And let's just say that was not an easy task.

" This contract is concrete." The lawyer threw the copy onto their desk and Severus sighed.

" That's what i was afraid of."

" Not only have you not produced an heir but you also haven't been married for a year. That's the minimum amount of time with the exception of a liable heir on both sides of the family."

" I don't even know why they made us marry if they're main goal was an heir. We're both men, we couldn't possibly produce an heir without months of adoption paperwork or the whole surrogacy process." Severus rubbed his forehead and the lawyer hummed.

" We could argue that in court. That the contract is impossible to complete with two men." The lawyer shrugged and Severus raised an eyebrow.

" Can we?"

" Possibly. I think i also saw a loophole but it's a stretch."

" What is it?"

" It says here both parties must consent to the marriage, is that correct?"

" Yes."

" Then theoretically, on the flip side, a divorce should be allowed if both parties agree."

" Yeah but our families have to agree too and there's no way that's happening."

" Do you think your husbands family will agree?"

" Um. Maybe? They're pretty supportive of whatever he does. If he says he's unhappy in this marriage they might say yes."

" And from what I understand, the only living relative left on your side is your father, yes?"

" Yes. But i have no contact with him other than the occasional money issue."

" I see. And he's not a Prince is he?"

" No. My mother's side is the one who coordinated this agreement."

" Then if we can get your father to sign a paper agreeing to the divorce it should be no issue."

" I guess? But i'm uncertain the Potters would agree. James himself included."

" If your husband doesn't want a divorce then why are you motioning for one?"

Severus held his breath and swallowed.

" It's complicated."

Complicated indeed. He knows they've already come back from the getaway, James not texting once in the three days he was gone.

He got an occasional text asking if he's ok but he always responded with a like rather than an actual message to his answer. It wasn't caring and Severus certainly wouldn't count it as a conversation.

And he couldn't argue. He probably wants to be with his boyfriend and have a romantic time, not check up on someone the entire time there.

So Severus bit down the disappointment and went on with his day. There's only a week left before Sirius forces their hands so Severus is losing time.

He sits in his office all day, contemplating and procrastinating going home. Because if he does he'll have to face James and with what is sitting in his bag he doesn't know if he can do that.