eleven

As the semester continued on, you and Steve continued to spend as much time together as you could. Often, Steve would come by and help you clean up after work before the two of you headed over to his studio to study. That's what you were doing now, standing in the elevator, heading up to Steve's studio. The only difference is that your eyes were covered by Steve's large hands.

"Steve," you giggled, leaning back into him as you placed your hands over his to try and pry them away. "What are you doing?"

"It's a surprise," Steve responded.

You didn't need to see his face to know that he had a giddy smile on it. The elevator dinged and, still staying behind you and keeping his hands over your eyes, Steve guided you out of the elevator. Tripping over your own feet, you began to fall forward. One of Steve's arms quickly wrapped around your waist to keep you up as his other hand moved to cover both of your eyes.

"I've got you," Steve said softly in your ear. "I won't let you fall."

Your heart fluttered, knowing that Steve meant that in more than just the current moment. He turned you and continued to guide you toward one of the corners of his studio.

"Okay," he said, coming to a stop.

"Can I open my eyes now?" You asked, excited to see what Steve had in store for you.

"Yes."

You opened your eyes just as he removed his hand from them. Your mouth fell open with a small gasp as your eyes took in the sight before you. The corner of Steve's studio had been cleared out and now stood a grey cubicle. It wasn't as ugly as cubicles found in most offices though, showing that it was clearly expensive. You took a careful step toward it, noting that there were really only two grey walls as the large floor-to-ceiling windows served as the other two. The grey walls were only about half-size, making it so Steve could easily come over and talk to you.

Cautiously walking to the opening, you peered inside. The sight inside caused your breath to be taken away. There was an L-shaped desk with shelves scaling the grey walls, with a small whiteboard on the walls as well. The area was organized with school supplies: the nicest notebooks, a variety of pens and pencils, a duel printer-scanner, a stapler, a hole puncher, extra paper in a variety of colors, and sitting on top of the desk was a decent-sized box wrapped in shimmering silver paper with a black bow on top. There was also a clearly expensive rolling office chair in the center.

"Do you like it?" Steve's nervous voice wondered from where he was still standing.

Honestly, you didn't know how to respond. You were speechless, to put it lightly. This was honestly the most expensive gift you had ever been given, and you didn't know how to take that. Glancing back at Steve, you knew that he meant well. Though it did remind you of your lack of money.

"I just felt like, since you're studying here almost every night, that you deserved a space that was all your own," Steve quickly explained, clearly worried about your response.

"I... I don't know what to say," you responded. You stepped into the cubicle further, fingers brushing against the new walls. "It's so..."

Your words trailed off as you noticed a sketch pinned to one of the cubicle walls. You moved closer to see that it was of you, incredibly concentrated on one of your books. Your nose scrunched up with the cap of a pen in your mouth. A small note was scribbled to the side saying 'my hard worker' with Steve's initials and a small heart. Your hand came out to brush your fingertips against the paper.

"Steve," you breathed out in awe, "it's lovely."

"I did it the other day," he shrugged. "I thought I'd put it in your new study area to remind you how strong and beautiful I believe you to be."