Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

   When we arrived at the airport, we were met by Alex and Beth who were both smiling,waving and running towards us. We smiled back at them and walked to them, too relaxed to run. When we reached them, they each took our suitcases and walked besides us as Lola and I held hands. As we drove home, Alex and Beth told us about what we'd missed and how they'd missed us.

   While we unpacked our suitcases, the wash basket began to puke up clothes. Beth put the washing machine on and Alex put our half used toiletries into the bathroom. I got Beth and Alex's presents out of my suitcase and we went and found them both in the kitchen, heating blood. We handed them their presents and they smiled and both said about how we shouldn't have and that they were lovely but we still shouldn't have. We smiled and said that, technically, they paid for it - they gave us the money. They laughed and gave up the battle. We sat in the lounge and drank our blood together.

   In the time up unitl Lola's ultrasound, we received a lot of congratulatory cards saying about how people were pleased for us, how they hoped we had a long and happy marriage, about how they hoped we'd be a happy family once the baby was born, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The lounge was full of the cards.

   On the thirtieth of August, we went to the hospital and Lola had her ultrasound. We were called into the room by the doctor and we went in. Lola was told to lay on the bed and pull her top up. Lola did so. A blue lubricant gel was squirted along Lola's womb, she giggled and said "It's cold." I smiled and squeezed her hand, reassuringly. The doctor moved the transducer along Lola's womb and a black and white, blotchy image appeared on the screen. "It's got four arms and legs."

The nurse smiled at us and said "These are your babies". She started pointing out the parts of the babies.

Lola laughed when she saw them all curled up and said "Awwww,they're so cute.

"Yep, they are." I smiled and kissed her forehead. I saw a tear drip down her cheek. I wiped it away with my finger. She giggled at this.

   When the ultrasound was finished, we were given a picture of the scan. It was amazing. Our babies. Inside of Lola, my wife. Life couldn't get any better.