23. Aftermath

Liam

I disregarded I spilled my breakfast all over the floor as I focused on the screen. She wore her red power suit and the sounds of helicopters overhead added to the intensity of the situation as her hair flew around her head wildly in the chaos. It is surprising she is reporting the news as the leader of the human faction. The intention of including the humans in our worl is to keep things under control and prevent us from being exposed to the rest of society. Those that do know of our kind and existence are either mated to a supernatural being or used to hunt us. She happened to be mated to a vampire until his untimely death, so seeing her on the screen isn't what caused me to drop my fork in shock.

"A private school known to educate prestigious students has been blown up. The bomb went off at four am this morning and the authorities are investigating those who are responsible for causing such a massacre. At this time there have been no survivors recovered from the rubble. There are also reports of large fires scattered throughout the land without any confirmed casualties. Back to you all at the station this is Nancy Munoz, news channel nine."

Of course, she couldn't publicly say that it was a supernatural school for shifters and other beings capable of magic since it was on the regular news. Although the school stood in a secluded location a blast of this size wouldn't go unnoticed in the human world and a believable cover story was necessary. This year hadn't been particularly dry warranting drought precautions, so the scattered fires were a made to look like concern for vandalism making this event in the supernatural world too immense to be hidden from the human world. In reality they were locations of varies species homes that had been destroyed.

Scenes of rubble flashed across the television screen with the news crew remaining cognizant of keeping the exact location away from the public eye. The news hasn't been able to pinpoint who would do this, but I have some ideas. Hunters would be the most probable culprit since they know the school exists, but such an action would go against the treaty the factions have with one another. There are rules to follow before accusing any faction of a crime, but the one visit from the Goddess and her words run through my mind. War is coming and this is only the beginning.

Scarlett stirs beside me whispering, "This is what she meant."

If she had a visit from the Goddess, I'll ask her about it later because I'm still on the phone.

"I need you to take in the survivors. I know the news said there weren't anyone left alive and none of the other factions know yet. The few we have found and saved need a safe place to live. This group of survivors don't have a home to go back to anymore thanks to those fires and now as far as the rest of the supernatural world is concerned, the elves have been wiped out along with the dark fae and dragons."

Using the fires as a coverup make sense and they had to be broadcast because the smoke and flames would be seen by the humans nearby. There were so many innocent lives lost as each burning pile were locations of packs, covens, thunders, and flocks that have been destroyed. I heard him clear his throat as he awaited my reply as my scrambled brain tried to form words.

"Hurry up and respond hooman, you look like a fish right now and you're not responding like an Alpha!" Max yaps. "Shut up, mutt and how dare you call me a fishy!" That makes me wonder if mermaids are real for a second until Max growls at me, so I respond with what I believe to be the right choice. Not that I truly had one to make because I would have taken them in regardless without question.

"Did the Goddess visit you last night?" She confirms with a nod, and we get ready for our day that is starting off with a bang, quite literally.

I'm preparing the team to welcome our new members as soon as they arrive so I can have a meeting with the Alphas and continue to investigate who would cause destruction on such a wide scale. Is this connected to the missing females too? It has to be, the Rogue Alliance is a fake organization created by Clover Incorporated. This is bigger than us and the Goddess made it seem like another God is out to destroy her creatures and if what she says is true is has already started with the mass genocide that just occurred.