Chapter Forty-Eight

"Seriously! You almost hit me with a fireball, Alison!" Riley scolded once he regained his footing.

"Yeah, you're supposed to dodge it, genius."

"You are insane! I miss the old Alison that actually took things seriously, she was much easier to reason with."

"That sounds like a personal problem. A demon won't go easy on you. They'll kill you the second they see you. Maybe you should stay here."

"I am not staying here."

"You won't make it five minutes," I replied coldly, throwing an energy ball. He dodged it, but as a result, fell out of the tree.

"I am going. That is my responsibility to this pack!"

"No, your responsibility is to do what's best for them. You have no use dead. You're staying and that's final," I explained with the last word booming through the forest. He let out a frustrated growl but that did nothing for him.

I met eyes with a concerned Dominic across the field who gave me an agreeing nod. Riley is Dominic's right hand, making him invaluable to the pack, especially with the Luna situation. Being a Zeta should make him one of the strongest men here, but he seems to weaken by the day. Even at his best, I wouldn't suggest he come, but for some reason, his strength seems to be the same as an average wolf. We've been at this for two weeks, not only is he losing strength, but his energy's also declining.

"Ali! When is it my turn?" Nakya complained. "These kids you keep pairing me with are embarrassing." I walked over to observe the three Omegas laying on the ground.

An amused smirk played on my lips as they caught their breath. "She really didn't like you."

"S-she? You mean. . . you mean it!" One of them complained through breaths. Nakya's been standing in Dimitry's place at night or attempting to. Obviously, I can't go full force on her, but she's getting amazing practice.

"That thing is a cold killer."

"Then I guess her spot on the hunt is secured."

"I am not an it or a thing! I am a woman. Maybe if you would be a little more respectful at the breakfast table I would play nicer!" she hissed with annoyance before turning to me. "When is it my turn to train with you?"

"You can train with me now or you can get your special one-on-one tonight. You don't get both."

"But how about we train now and then do something different tonight. . .?" A big smile came to her lips before she locked arms with me and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Whatever you're trying to convince me of the answer is no."

"It's been two weeks, I'm bored. We have looked at the same boring faces every day with no breaks. Let's go out. Maybe we can get new clothes. Imagine how much better you'll feel with a new wardrobe and haircut. You're a different person now, you should reflect that."

A haircut? I've never gotten a haircut. Female wolves just do trims, but I could break the pattern. Besides, I'm tired of washing blood out of my ends. "I would look hot in a lob," I reasoned.

"Exactly what I was thinking."

"Are you two like a couple or something?" One of the Omegas teased once they regained life.

"If you kick their asses again we'll leave at four."

"Say less." Nakya let go and went straight to work. I didn't hide my smile as I watched their smirks drop and their features fill with fear. The fight wouldn't take long since they were already tired so I took the time to watch. You're never safe. Anywhere. I know this better than anyone, but for some reason, I let myself ignore Dimitry's golden rule. Always pay attention to your surroundings.