CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Mallory

When I knock on Daniel's door, it's over an hour before our scheduled date.

He lives in a third-floor walkup in Philadelphia, which is only a thirty-minute commute to Pemberton Academy. The building is sleek and modern, giving a 'bachelor pad' vibe if I've ever seen one. Unlike Mason's insinuation, Pemberton teachers are paid well. It's the benefit of working at a private school. Our money doesn't just go to Astroturf and Olympic-sized indoor pools.

The door swings open, revealing a partially naked Daniel.

I blink twice, stunned at the ink on his impressive chest and torso.

Without the slacks and blazer, Daniel looks like a rebel. He wears black jeans and nothing else, apart from the smoky tattoos and glasses. His hair is wet from a shower, and water droplets stick to his broad shoulders. The man is built. He would've been fun to work with, but I can't bring myself to do this again. To repeat the past.

By the look of regret on my face, Daniel's surprised smile turns into a wince.

"Things change with your houseguest?" he guesses, eyeing me up and down.

I'm still in my leggings and ratty T-shirt. I threw on a Philadelphia Eagles beanie once the rain started. It's improper date attire, so he's assumed correctly.

"Not physically," I assure him, hating that I find pride in that lowly fact. "But I think I've been emotionally unavailable for a while. Like, fifteen years."

Daniel nods, smiling introspectively. "Maybe it's for the best. I don't want to break up a family."

"You're not mad?"

"Of course not." He laughs, rubbing his hand over his delectable six-pack. "I'll admit, I'm bummed, but I'm trying to keep my street cred here."

I roll my eyes. "You're perfect."

Seriously, what man wouldn't have a few hurtful words to throw at the woman who turned him down before their fifth date? What man wouldn't be angry that he'd wasted countless hours of his life on a possibility?

A perfect one.

He's just not my one. Neither was David, and I don't want to put another man through that. I don't want to put myself through that. I don't want to continue feeling guilty.

"You're making it worse," Daniel jokes.

"I'm sorry," I say, shuffling my feet on the linoleum of his hallway. "I tend to do that with men. Make things worse."

"Perhaps it's like you said." He shrugs, one hand braced on the doorframe. "Fifteen years is a long time to be stuck on someone. Maybe you should stop fighting fate."

Regrettably, I'm inclined to believe him. "You think Mason is my fate?"

"Possibly." By the smile in his blue eyes, he means yes, but he's trying to play it cool. "Although, I'd feel bad for you if he was. That bloke is a prick."

Laughter bubbles up from my ribs. "Thank you."

"What for?"

"For making me smile." I wipe at a loose tear under my eye, wondering whether it's a product of sorrow or happiness. Maybe a little of both. "I haven't done that in a few days."

Daniel leans against the frame, crossing his arms over his chest. "I should've known..."

I stick my hands in the pockets of my coat, waiting for him to explain.

"Once Grace told me who her song is dedicated to, I knew I didn't stand a chance," he continues. "Jesus Christ, she's not even my daughter and she had me in tears."