- three

"Point, me!"

Both Ajax and I pulled our masks off. The boy just stared at me, exhausted and dumbfounded. "Seriously, Caleigh?"

I dropped my hands to my sides, "What?"

Ajax gestured to the empty room around us. It was currently just him and me in the room we fenced in, everyone had left probably a good 45 minutes ago.

"Why're we still practicing?" He groaned, "One of your roommates is in the infirminary-"

"Infirmary," I mumbled my correction.

"Your other roommate is off doing who knows what and Xavier is probably painting or doing something that isn't this."

He was tired and bored.

I, for one, was not.

"Well, maybe if you weren't late we wouldn't still be practicing."

"I was 15 minutes late, not 45." He said breathlessly, "Can we be almost done?"

I shrugged my shoulders, stepping back and twirling my sword. My eyes focused in on the boy in front of me. Ajax Petropolis. What a sight to see.

A bead of sweat rolled down my face and suddenly I realized how hot and tired I was. Maybe it was time to call it. Not everyone can have the same stamina that I do when it comes to being overly competitive.

I blame my family for my competitive nature. My parents always pitted my brother and me against each other. Calum and Caleigh, who would come out on top?

Trust me when I say, that not all "friendly competitions" end friendly.

"Fine, last round."

He cocked an eyebrow, suddenly getting rather confident, "What do I get if I win?"

"You won't." I immediately bit back and his face fell. Dammit, Caleigh. "But if you do, you can brag about it for the next 24 hours."

A subtle smirk snuck onto his lips, "Deal."

We both slid our masks back on and hopped into a ready position.

I breathed heavily as we fought.

I can't tell if it was my pride or the need to prove others wrong that was driving me at the moment. My mind flooded back to the times when I would fence against my older brother. We somehow ended up practicing with each other, he was my partner before Ajax was. Calum always won. I always came in second.

His sword would stick me and he'd whip his helmet off, his blonde hair falling around his face and a laugh falling from his lips. "Gotta be better than that, Bug." And then we'd go again.

A groan fell from my lips as my body hit the ground.

I was no longer reminiscing about fencing with my brother. No, I was laid out on my back on the fencing mat, Ajax very much laid out on top of me.

He propped himself up on his hands, using one of them to pull off his mask. "I won?" He sheepishly said.

"What the fuck, Petropolis?" I mumbled.

"Well, I got you. I won." He chuckled, a small smile on his face as he spoke. "But when I won I may have unintentionally tripped us both."

Of course.

Ajax didn't move. He just stayed there, mostly on top of me, the other part of him propped up and staring down at my masked face.

He picked up one of his and I furrowed my eyebrows. And then my mask came off of my head. I could see the smile in Ajax's brown eyes as they connected with my bright blue ones. Something about this situation made me feel sick to my stomach.