Chapter 2

Later that night, Santa and Earth are splayed across Earth's bed playing video games. They're playing a fighter RPG and Santa is creaming Earth.

It might have something to do with how he keeps tickling Earth as he tries to play.

"Quit it!" Earth shrieks as Santa's fingers skitter up his side, almost making him drop the controller.

"Never!" Santa says, sticking his tongue out at Earth, taking the opportunity to deal damage to Earth's character.

Santa's controller clicks in his hands as he moves it this way and that, determined to win the round. He reaches over and pushes Earth's head forward. The silky strands of Earth's hair slide over his fingers and Santa momentarily loses his concentration as his heart skips a beat.

"Take that!" Earth says triumphantly.

"What no!"

Santa leans over and steals Earth's controller in retribution, holding it out of reach as he finishes Earth's character off for the fourth time.

Earth snatches his controller back and pretends to hit him with it.

"Now that was really dirty!" He says. "When will you ever grow up?"

Santa's grin slides off of his face.

A couple of years ago, those words wouldn't've bothered him as much. To his 17 year old self, Earth had seemed so cool and unreachable at 24, but then they'd gotten to know each other and Santa felt like he could drop all pretense. But it seemed like Earth would never shake the childish image he had of Santa in his head.

"That's it!" Santa declares setting his controller down harder than necessary.

He keeps a mischievous smile on his face as he pushes Earth down to tickle him in earnest, but he's genuinely annoyed.

Would Earth ever see that he wasn't a little kid anymore? Would he ever see that Santa truly cared about him and that the gap between their ages didn't make a difference in how much he wanted Earth? He'd known Earth intimately for over two years now. He'd gotten to know Earth's family and Earth had gotten to know his. They told each other everything and went everywhere together. For God's sake, they spent so much time together that they were practically famous just for that. This wasn't just some childish crush, this was for real.

"We're just messing around and having fun! How is that childish?" Santa demands, his fingers skating along Earth's sides.

"I'm plenty grown, why can't you see that?"

Earth is breathless with laughter, absolutely shaking with it, and he tries half-heartedly to push Santa off.

"Stop it!" He says between giggles.

Santa does and stares. Earth is beautiful. The most beautiful person that he's ever seen. His delicate features are fully exposed without the makeup he usually wears. His honey and cream complexion is stained a ruddy red from the exertion of his laughter. Santa eyes the way his hair falls into his eyes and moves it out of the way. Earth is still smiling and Santa pinches one of his cheeks. Earth's cheeks still manage to be cherubic despite his thin, catlike frame. His pretty pink lips are right there, glossy from the lip balm he'd slathered on them after he bullied Santa into doing his 12-step skincare routine with him.

Santa doesn't think, he just does.

He searches Earth's face for a minute, leaning as he does so. He hopes his intention is clear. If Earth wants to move his head or slide away, he can. Santa hopes he doesn't.

Earth stays. His eyes widening and his breath hitching when he realizes what Santa is about to do. His tongue peeks out to wet his lips and that's all the invitation Santa needs.