Chapter 2

Vanessa's POV

It has been two days since our fight and Richard haven't been talking to anyone these days. He would often ignore Audrey or Michael. And would disappear out of nowhere. I don't know if this all is happening because of me or something else but whatever is going on with him, worries me a lot.

For the past two days, we went sightseeing and to an amusement park. And even at the amusement park, he would often leave saying he got a phone call. I wanted to approach him about this matter a few times but as always, I didn't have the courage to talk to him.

'Mom? mom!' I shook the stance I was in and focused on my surroundings. Michael was asking me to open the water bottle while Audrey ate her food quietly in her own world.

Michael wanted to go to Mcdonald's on the way home from the park. And now here we are, eating fries and burgers for lunch. Not an ideal lunch idea but since our days are getting shorter in Vegas I thought why not?

'Mom, are you going to leave us too?' Audrey asked out of nowhere.

I looked over at her, midway from opening the bottle. 'No, honey. I'm not going to leave any of you.'

'Dad left, I thought you probably would too.'

I saw the sadness on her face and in her voice. She didn't have the usual glow she used to have and now she's all dull and unhappy. I opened the bottle for Michael and faced Audrey.

Taking her hand in mine, I looked into her eyes. 'Dad didn't leave dear, he's just a little busy with work.'

'But mom, then why does it feel like he's leaving us, he's so distant now. He doesn't want to play with us anymore, he ignores us most of the time and he disappears suddenly.' She took her hand back and wiped the silent tears that strolled down her cheek.

I didn't have an answer for her question. I've been asking the same question to myself as well.

'It feels as if we don't even know each other. Mom, I want dad. I miss him so much.' My head turned to my 7-year-old.

'I know, I know. And I'm trying honey. I also don't know what's wrong with dad but I'm sure he's fine. Maybe he got an urgent work to do. He won't leave you guys and neither will I.' I assured them but it felt like I was assuring myself rather than them.

After we finished eating, I booked a cab to go back to the hotel. It wasn't that far but it surely did take most of my money away from me.

The car ride was silent. Awfully silent. I sat in the middle of my two children, both their heads facing toward the window seeing the passing cars and the scenery.

'Can we go to the mall, tomorrow mom?' Audrey asked.

I gave the question a thought and replied. 'Sure, but-

'I know, dad won't join us.' Michael finished the sentence for me and I sighed out loud.

Back in our room, Richard was still nowhere to be seen and I didn't seem to care anymore. This vacation was supposed to be a family vacation; a family vacation including their dad.

Children sleeping peacefully in their own rooms after the long journey from Mcdonald's, I decided to take a shower to cool off my mind and to get some ease from the pain that I chose to ignore.

I stood in the shower for solid 20 minutes. I heard the room door open and I knew that its Richard back from where ever he was before. Putting the hand through my wet hair, water droplets slowly slid down my bed. I exited the bathroom after wearing my clothes.