First Day

I felt my body disintegrate into thin air, my skin burning. Everything was dark for a second, until I suddenly could sense my body again. I opened my eyes to a town like area, a dark red tint covering everything.
It was like a long street, houses facing each other with numbers on letterboxes and neat gardens. Some of the homes were like English manors and others had the feel of those in Japan.
The ground was a cracked dark red rock, like it was a desert and someone chucked a town on top of it. Everything felt so out of place. Behind me was a cliff, where the rock just stopped suddenly. I could only just see that there was another rock structure below this one.
A strange looking being stood in front of me, though I suppose I don't get to judge what looks strange.
She was about chest height, with red skin silver hair and yellow eyes. Black horns jutted out of her forehead, and she wore a very clean white suit. In her hand she clutched a clipboard and she was glaring at it intently.
An awkward silence passed between us, though she didn't look up.
"Uh, hi?" I said, well, more like asked.
She 'hrmmmm'ed to herself for a moment before replying.
"Akaza... You are assigned to no. 157 on the left and 6 hours of torture everyday."
"Is this hell?" I asked, almost stupidly.
She sighed and looked up at me.
"Yes, this is the upper level of hell." She looked back at the clipboard. "You only just qualify to be here."
"Upper level?" I tilted my head to look back at the other slab of rock.
"Mm, where those -who weren't as bad- live."
Not as bad?? I thought, extremely confused. I ate people, how is that not bad? Has there been a mistake?
She seemed to notice my confusion.
"Like I said, you only just squeaked by."
Huh. I wonder if anyone I know is here...
"Your torture is scheduled in at 1 pm to 7pm, if that doesn't work with your time frame, feel free to re-schedule it."
She marked something off on her list and gave me a card with the numbers 157 engraved on it.
"Good luck," She stepped back and promptly disappeared.
I blinked a couple times in surprise before making my way down the endless street of homes. I guess I've seen stranger things than that.
Eventually I came to the one I had been assigned, but it took an annoyingly long amount of time.
It was a japanese style house made from pine wood, similar to that of when I was human. Not that it does me any good now, reminiscing about the past. I walked around the small home, it was littered with basic furniture here and there, but other than that it was empty. I sighed, already bored.
I may as well take a walk, I thought flatly. Because there seems to be nothing to do in this place.
I walked back out to the street, pausing in the middle, not sure which way to go. I felt a tingle on the back of my neck, and whipped my head around to see what it was.
A few houses down stood a figure facing the other direction, but it was unmistakable. He still had the same blonde hair with fiery tips, and a firm stance on the ground.
Am I seeing this right? I can't believe that he of all people would end up here... I paused for a moment, then shrugged. I mean, I have nothing else to do. I may as well annoy him.
I snuck up behind him and leaned over his shoulder.
"Hey Kyojuro, come here often?" I said in my usual, irritating voice, it even annoys me sometimes.
Rengoku turned to face me, an unfriendly glare plastered on his face.
"Akaza," He said, almost making it sound like an insult. "Of all the people..." He muttered, sighing angrily.
Well he seems happy to see me, I thought, sarcastically. To be fair, I did kill him.
"Leave me alone," Rengoku said flatly. "I have no desire to converse with a demon. Let alone my killer."
"But there is no one else to talk to," I said. God, I sound so whiney.
He unsheathed his sword, which I hadn't noticed he was wearing, as a warning.
I backed away slightly, holding up my hands in defeat.
"Alright, alright," I said, faintly dissapointed. I tried to smile in my condescending way, but I don't think I pulled it off.
I turned on my heel and made my way back to my assigned house.
I just wanted to talk, I thought bitterly, kicking at the floorboards of the house. Its not like I wanted to kill him. I gave him the option of turning into a demon. It's really his fault for refusing.
I kept on telling myself that as I walked around the house once more, but in my heart I knew it wasn't true.
I plonked myself in the middle of the main room, wilting slightly. I wasn't sure what I could do. Was this what hell was? Eternal boredom?
I thought back to what the demon(?) said.
Oh right, I get tortured. At least I have something to look forward to.
I sighed.
"Oh well," I said aloud. "I can ways bother Kyojuro tomorrow."