Gum Cistus- I Shall Die Tomorrow

Even through the muffled pleas of my sister, his diabolical voice was all I could hear. He looked me in my eyes as if he could see right through me...even now those hellish eyes dare to stare into me. The weight of the dagger in my hands felt as though I was holding up a mountain, and yet, they held it up with the undying resolve to plunge into their target at any moment.

"Are you really going to stab me? Right in front of your sister?"

"Soon she'll forget the reason for your 'heroic' deed, she'll loath you for killing the only person she cares for. Oh, but she already doesn't love you, doesn't she? So, I guess that doesn't mean much." He said mockingly

       My thoughts flashed through my mind as I reasoned with myself.

If I kill him now, I'm saving both myself and her from this torture. Even if she can't understand...it must be done. There is no way out of this.

 I glanced toward my seemingly paralyzed sister before locking all focus on the man below me.

As I was looking down at him, all that could come to mind was the constant smirk he wore. It seemed, that on this day, he had worn it exceptionally big. 

I had wanted nothing more than to cut it up into a frown.

"I hope you rot in hell. And if I am to join you there, be prepared to receive every ounce of the kindness you've shown me. Maybe I have gone insane after all."

       By his change in expression, I could tell he hadn't considered that I would actually kill him. Well, I guess it's understandable he would think that...since all I've ever done was struggle to run away. But now, through the tears full of frustration, with every ounce of strength I had left, I slammed the dagger right into the center of his throat and yanked backward, making sure to sever his carotid artery.

Everything finally fell silent... at least until the screams of my sister reached my ears, piercing me completely through, even to the point where it felt like my soul could shatter.

"I'm....so sorry. I really did try to avoid this..."

When I met her horrified gaze all I could muster out was that simple apology.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       "Princess Aisha, you have been condemned to death by the guillotine, ordered to be sentenced immediately by Her Majesty, Queen Clemencia, and the Holy Clergy for the murder of Emperor Dearil. According to Imperial law, as a now former member of the Imperial Family, you are permitted a short statement to the public if you so wish."

As the high priest read the formalities to the citizens, I began thinking about the uselessness of looking towards the crowd. It was obvious all that awaited me there would be their eyes full of contempt accompanied with streams of curses. Similarly, I was sure it would be the same from my sister... but unlike the crowd, I couldn't help but stare up at her.

What should I even say...before I die?

       And so, when allowed to speak, I spouted out the only thing that came to mind.

"I regret not being able to make his death a slow one."

 At this, the crowd yelled with rage, my sister looked as though nothing made sense anymore, and I smiled as my neck was severed from my body, leaving me in darkness...

Such warm darkness...

But even with the comfort of knowing that I was finally free, I couldn't help but wonder...'what could I have done differently to escape that hell sooner?'

       Suddenly the warmth I'd felt spiked into a burning sensation, then it switched to an unbearable chill. It was as if, in only a split second, I was lit on fire and then doused in ice water. I began hearing soft sounds surround me, but I couldn't make out what they were.

I even started to imagine opening my eyes...

...Imagining?

Can you...imagine while dead? ...I'm certain I just felt my head being cut off, but...it really does feel like I'm lying in my bed...

And... It-

       In the middle of that thought, I had been hit with an overwhelming wave of fatigue. It was the beginning of my month-long slumber, but it was only the introduction to a pain I've felt before. The pain of poison turning one's insides into a bloodstained battlefield and causing a person to fade in and out of consciousness. When in this state, no matter how many times you open and close your eyes, you find yourself lying in the same spot with the same pain. Its comparable to never ending torture in the way that time seems to stay completely still.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------