𝖎. The Ghost of Annalise Ferrera

chapter one
the ghost of annalise ferrera

   There was a time when I wanted to be more than just a girl. More than a daughter. More than a sister. More than a friend. I wanted to be a star, with my name in flashing lights and a face that could never be forgotten. I wanted to be like the birds, where the sense of freedom is eternal, where the wind blows against my feathers and I can travel and see the entire world whenever I want.

From a young age, I knew I wanted to run away.

To flee and never return. To escape and abandon the life that has been built for me, a life in which I have no interest. A life in which my mother pesters me to become the girl she was never able to be, and God forbid I ever resemble my sister. I wanted to run away and become something other than who I was. I aspired to be something more than Ember Edwards. A girl who had everything handed to her but was still looking for something more.

I tried running once when I was nine years old. It was an impulsive act, a stupid idea that came to me one night when I couldn't sleep. I recall throwing my bag over my shoulders and the rush of adrenaline that spiked through my veins and heart the moment I climbed out of my window. When my feet touched the ground, I immediately burst into a sprint.

I ran.

I ran so fast that my heart nearly gave out.

I didn't make it very far, barely made it out of the neighbourhood. But it was the closest taste to freedom I've ever had. And now that I have a taste of it, I craved more.