Extreme Measures

Recommended to read in dark mode❵

It's not uncommon for students across Teyvat to come and study at Sumeru Akademiya for the sake of satisfying their thirst for knowledge. With a lot variation of major, you'll eventually find the suitable Darshan for you.

It happened to be in Haravatat, one of the six main schools in Sumeru Akademiya that I enrolled to along with my best friend.

My best friend, Sadiyq, was actually a childhood friend. He was born in a small village in Sumeru. I was adopted by his neighbor since I was a baby. We grew up together and became friends ever since.

We always had the same interest of the world. The abandoned ancient ruin we explored since we're small would have stone stables written in ancient language we knew nothing of. We made an oath, to study hard and enroll to the prestigious Sumeru Akademiya.

And here we are, in our first months of school.

We've heard of a prodigy in Haravatat, who excels his research and tests for two years straight. He's our senior, and Sadiyq has been looking up to this specific person. He's much of an hardworker than I am, he climbed up his ranks in only five months.

He became famous in no time for his achievements. Some said he'll become-or better-surpass this so called prodigy of Haravatat. I, too, won't lose. Alas, I'll never be in his level. But seeing him cheering and all excited for his hard work being paid off was enough for me. I'll follow suit with my own pace, there's no need to hurry-or calamity will follow.

It was all on accident that we encountered the famous Haravatat prodigy. He was nothing like I was expecting. He looked so young and strong. He was tall and his eyes sharp-you practically could see him reading your every move. His grey hair and a few teal highlights stood out the most. He didn't talk much, and he didn't show expression most of the time.

He didn't bother to introduce himself, but we soon learned that his name was Alhaitham from the other students. Despite his cold behavior, he was indeed intriguing. Questions naturally appeared in my mind.

How can he stayed becoming the best student of Haravatat for the whole two years?

Was it his raw hard work?

Or an insider's intervention?

If it was by his own hands, I'll make sure to ask Sadiyq to question and ask for some tips from the best student himself. And so, we did just that.

"Alhaitham sir, mind if we ask something regarding our Darshan?"

The first question, intended to be an ice breaker for the two juniors and one senior.

I always kept an eye on Alhaitham whenever I could. Eventually, I found out when he'll be out and presumably has some free time. It's on lunch break.

Sadiyq was overjoyed knowing what I did for him, and decided to skip his lunch to ask for tips. I couldn't just left him alone, so I only smiled and went to find our senior.

"What is it?" Alhaitham responded to my friend's question, his eyes still scanning every words in the book he was currently reading.

"Well, before that-I admire you very much! Knowing your achievements for the past two years and becoming the best student for two years, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you for some tips to keep you on doing your best..." Sadiyq trailed off, feeling a bit intimidated once Alhaitham's gaze landed on him.

"To keep me on doing my best... My answer is simple. Sow your commitment on becoming number one. You'll need to be competitive, all and foremost." Alhaitham's answer was compact. Sadiyq eyes' widen and enthusiastically nodded his head in understanding, surprisingly thanking him calmly for the answer.