8

In the morning Maddie still had not come down from the clouds she was floating on. Daniel said they would marry. Now she did not have to worry about the token Cuthbert had put on her. She decided not to tell the Duchess until she and Daniel talked more about their engagement. After all he could have had a moment of insanity and did not mean his words. If that were true, she would not be able to live she would throw herself into the Thames.

That afternoon A new set of guests arrived. Jensen Everleigh came to talk to Daniel. He needed to let him know what he had learned about the marker. Jensen was not surprised to see the party going on. Johanna had told him the Duchess had set up a honey trap so Maddie could find herself a husband. He was led to Daniel's office while Johanna was led outside to where the fun and games were being held.

Daniel was pleased to see Jensen and without a word, he poured him a glass of his finest whiskey.

The two men sat across from each other sipping their drinks. They had known each other for years. They had worked together on many occasions.

"What did you find out?"

"My information is Cuthbert owes quite a bit of money to a lot of people. He thought marrying Maddie would be his best and only option. It is rumored he has been infatuated with her since she was extremely young. My runner said without her money he could not pay off any of his debts. He is flat broke to the point of tarnishing the name of the Earldom. I have Mac keeping an eye out for the marker. If it shows up ad Madams, I will put it in my care until I can get it to you."

Daniel teased Jensen.

"You planning to place a claim on it?"

They both laughed.

"That would not be prudent since I already made a claim on Lady Hartford. Seems that taking a few liberties with charming's niece gets a man engaged quickly or quartered. Since I found I love the girl an engagement was in order but at this moment she is the only one who is not aware of it. It's a long story but I will be married soon. Any chance you will claim the marker?"

Daniel laughed again,

"I decided to claim the girls' heart and kill the man who put the marker out on her."

"I see a wedding will be the outcome for you as well. Have you asked the young lady, or did you push her into a mud puddle to propose?"

"You have heard about that have you. I asked her properly last night and she consented. Now to get all these bloody men who are here to woo her out of my house."

"Back to the reason for my visit. Simon has put the word out and has men looking for Cuthbert. It appears he had gone underground and is not in the usual places one finds a man who is a notorious gambler. Simon has someone staked out at Madams waiting for him to show up there."

"I learned he made a visit to the town here. I am not worried he will even get close to her. Seems the villagers have claimed her for their own and swear he will not get near her. I do need help with another matter. Someone tried to brand her when she was a babe. I think it was Cuthbert since he happened to be at the Marquis at the time. I do not have proof. Can you look into it, and find out what you can about anything before the time she went to live with Matthew?"

"I can do that. I will keep you updated. How long will you be staying in the country?"

"We will be returning to London in two days. When this bloody party is over."

The men finished their drinks then went to go collect their ladies. They arrived in the garden Johanna was standing near Honeywell. He was not happy to see him near Johanna.