Family pt. 2

Lu Ten woke groggily, straining his eyes as he felt the sun hit his face. He immediately shut his eyes as he felt the sunlight burning his retinas.

Where am I?

The last thing he remembered was seeing Zuko with a scar entering his cell. He thought it was a dream, or maybe a hallucination.

He had a few of those since his imprisonment started. Between the constant darkness, beatings, and starvation his daydreams were all he had left.

But there's light here. I can feel the sun now. I can feel my inner fire returning...

Lu Ten shakily got up as he tried not to get his hopes up. It had been years since he was able to bend, if he was free then he could finally use his fire again.

Please don't let this be a dream...

Lu Ten let out a shaky breath as his eyes adjusted, finally taking in the room he was laying in.

To his left, he saw Zuko, still with the same scar on his face and murmuring something about a dragon while he slept.

It wasn't a dream...

Lu Ten felt shock and disbelief mix as he slowly took in his condition. He realized with a start that the blood that had coated his body like a second layer of skin was cleaned off.

His wounds that had become a constant were now bandaged and the chains that held his wrists were gone.

I'm free...

The realization hit Lu Ten with full force, the feeling of relief shaking his body as he sobbed silently.

I'm finally free. I didn't die there... I'm still alive.

He thanked every spirit he knew as he breathed in the fresh air and moved his arms around to their full extent.

The air's clean, and I can lift my arms above my head. I did it, I survived...

He fell into a state of giddiness as he tested the limits of his newfound freedom, not even registering the pain he was in.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as he heard the apartment door open.

He turned towards the sound and saw his father walk in, looking years older than he remembered him.

"Dad?"

Iroh fell to his knees as he hugged his son, holding him as he felt his heart beating alive and well.

"It's me, son, I'm here."

Lu Ten balled into Iroh's chest as he felt the last of his disbelief melt away.

It wasn't a trick. It wasn't a dream. His father was here and he was free. He wasn't going back to the cell. He wasn't going back to that hell again.

I'm safe...

"I'm sorry son. I'm sorry it took so long. I promise that I'm here now, I promise I won't leave."

Iroh felt his grief erupt as he grabbed his long lost son, holding him close as he took in every breath that his son took.

I won't let you go again...

..........

Iroh brought tea and soup for his son after they had finished crying.

Lu Ten looked like he had a lot of questions, but Iroh wasn't going to answer them until he filled Lu Ten's stomach.

He's gotten so thin. I'll have to feed him extra portions to get him back to a healthy weight.

Iroh served Lu Ten his meal and sat quietly, enjoying the fact that his son was alive and here with him.