viii. Tavern Tales

It crept over his cheeks like a wildfire, spreading its flames of embarrassment to the tips of his ears. The strangest thing? It was the fact that you felt sorry for Prince Jean. You were nothing but a simple commoner who would never really be able to grasp just how heavy the head was that held the crown. He was not able to join in with tomfoolery or have fun or jokes, he was being groomed to be the next monarch and not a hair should be in the incorrect place. Immediately, the smile that was alight on his face, as he looked at you, vanished as he bowed his head.

The joy in the room instantly seized as Pixis drew his irate glare over each of you as if you were all unscrupulous school children and not possible future queens. Eren, on the other hand, was not in the slightest intimidated by the punishing silence. Instead, he flicked one last vegetable, that balanced precariously on the end of his knife, and it hit the unassuming prince at the very end of his nose bridge. Prince Jean looked up and scowled, at the same time Mr Connie appeared behind him, tapping his shoulder.

The prince looked up, allowing his associate to whisper some words into his ear before he planted his hands on the table and stood, removing a napkin from one of his breast pockets and wiping the oil that still stained his cheek from the piece of steak you had attacked him with. Guiltily, you turned your gaze away only to be met by the disappointed one Porco. You were aware of what it meant. Rielle would have never lowered herself to this. She would have been like completely neutral, like Lady Pieck who shyly sat at the end, coming out of the food fight unscathed.

"Prince Jean, what is it that you have to say for yourself? In fact, what do all of you have to say for yourselves? I have witnessed infants with more class that what was just displayed here." Insulted Dot Pixis.

Besides you, Eren blew out a frustrated breath, mimicking the old man under his breath, but the prince? You watched his jaw twitch with an emotion you simply could not understand. He drew in a deep breath from his nostrils and he shut his eyes as he thought over his next words. His honey eyes scanned the table, locking on all of you until you finally faced Pixis.

"To everyone, I deliver my sincerest apologies. That was very uncourteous behaviour on my behalf and I do hope that it does not reflect badly on your image of me, or this kingdom. Good evening." He frowned, stepping back and leaving the room without another look behind.

On your right, you watched Eren's fingers curl tighter around the knife he was holding.

"Pixis. There is no reason for that scolding tone. No one is of injury and I believe everyone here is in agreement that it was not an action of malice. It was simply a show of camaraderie. That is the entire intent of recreational time and bonding. If not, what was the purpose of having us dine together?" Argued Eren, a strand of his hair falling into his eyes that had narrowed in anger.

Pixis fixed Eren a dark look, fisting his hands at his side's as he glared down the boy. It was not a look of hate, but the type of look a father would give a son for being disrespectful.

"Well, if that is how you feel, Master Jaeger, then I suggest you take up your complaint with someone of higher authority." Challenged Pixis, ready to change topics.

Clearly it was not just you who had been affected by the unfairness of the situation, you knew that Eren's reaction was in retaliation of that defeated look on Prince Jean's face. Eren stood, hands hitting down hard against the table.

"Perhaps I will." Snapped Eren, baring his teeth.

Lady Hitch rolled her eyes at the green eyed boy's reaction as she whispered something into the ear of Lady Historia. Lady Mikasa, on the other hand, who Eren had made quite the topic of ignoring the entire meal, pulled at one end of his sleeve.