Chapter 13

"I can't come," I say over the phone to Shawn, holding my tummy tight on my bed. I feel like some chickens are feasting on my intestines. "I came back home. Bad cramps."

Shawn wishes me a quick recovery, and I wish him well on his game, and the call ends, leaving me to curl up in my sorrow. My first days of menstruation are the worst, and unfortunately, this one came on a school day and the time for Shawn's big game. I can't do anything, and I plan on lying on this bed all day and hopefully doing nothing.

Minutes pass, and I'm no longer on the bed and rolling on the floor when I hear a knock on the door, and Junior opens up.

"Yeesh, are you a worm now?"

"Get out!" I ask, not bothering to look at him.

"Well, somebody is here to see you," he quickly says and runs off.

"What?" I turn to the door, hoping to tell him that I am not expecting anybody and isn't in the mood for visitors, but my mouth is sealed shut when I see the petite girl with strawberry-pink hair standing by my door.

That rat of a brother!

Lana smiles shyly and raises her hand in a wave. "Hi."

"No," I groan, turning away from the door and curling up more on the cold ground.

"Um..." I can feel her awkwardness. "I heard from Shawn, and I came over. I thought I could help, but I can leave if you want me to."

"No!" I yell out, my voice muffled by the pillow.

"No?"

"Come in," I slowly raise my head. "I don't want you to see me like this, though. I look absolutely horrible and ugly."

Lana chuckles as she walks into my room, closing the door gently behind her. She knees beside me and cups my face, lifting my head a bit so she can properly look at me. "You are the opposite of horrible and ugly, no matter what state you're in."

I smile, then groan and look away. "I feel that way, though. I'm dying."

Lana's eyes go wide, "Should we go to the hospital? It could be something more serious than cramps."

I look at her and smile at her cuteness. "I'm exaggerating. I'm not actually dying; I am just in unbearable pain. Don't you have cramps?"

She shakes her head, "On the first day, it's just a tight discomfort. That's all."

I groan louder, "wow, lucky you. You must be an angel or something."

She bursts out laughing. "What can I do to help Annie?"

"I don't know."

"When does it stop?"

"Eventually, it depends on its mission right now." I smile at her, and she laughs.

"At least you still have your sense of humor," she grabs my hand to help me up. "Come on, let's go over to the bed."

"No," I grumble, but I listen to her and actually start standing up.

"I can tend better to you when you're up, and I can see you clearly," she helps me up and helps me lie on my twin bed, pulling the comforter over my body.

In normal circumstances, I would have been worried and wondering about how my room looked in her eyes. My room is small, and I bet her room is very large and more beautiful. I'm not usually scattered, but I'm not sure my room is in its 'visitor' condition now. But I don't care; I just want these cramps to go.

"I brought medicine and chocolate and scented candles," she looks up at me to justify that. "I heard the sweet scent helps."

I chuckle; she really is cute. "Thanks, boyfriend. Or should I say, mom?"