Main Event*

Upon our arrival, the valet opened my door and helped me out of the truck. The attendant quickly passed my hand to Jake, who made it around the vehicle in record time. I hooked my arm around his and curled my other hand around his bicep.

Much to the chagrin of both families, the couple had chosen to rent out one of the chicest hotels in Austin. It was very modern with floor-to-ceiling windows, glass balconies and sleek metal finishes.

The ceremony, which included a shorter guest list than the reception, was taking place in the glass-domed courtyard that was landscaped and manicured to be a tropical oasis. Complete with a controlled humidity that was just enough to keep the greenery thriving but not enough to ruin everyone's hair and makeup.

We strolled in and easily spied the row of Seresins. I sat between Elma and Jake. Elma grabbed my hand, and I leaned over so she could theater whisper into my ear. "Like I said, not even a paper sack would help Jake now." She chortled. I couldn't help but smile. Jake side-glanced us with a playful smirk. I winked at him. Elma caught sight of my jewelry, and I shared the story as we waited for the ceremony to begin.

Soft music began and grew louder to quiet the guests. Once the doors opened we stood to watch the officiant, groom and best man take their places. Next came the groomsmen and bridesmaids.

And there she was.

Sylvie and I locked eyes. She brushed a nonexistent loose hair behind her ear and her faux engagement ring shimmered in the light. As she drew nearer, a tiny smirk played on her lips. Our gazes stayed locked until she passed. She gave me one more glare as she took her place at the front of the room.

The moment passed as the bride arrived. Emma and Lindsey had been right—there was no way anyone could outdo the bride other than showing up in white. Her dress was extravagant. There was no doubt she would have a second, still extravagant, more practical dress for the reception.

The ceremony was quick—just 45 minutes. We stood for an ovation as the newlyweds sashayed down the aisle. Once they, the wedding party and their immediate families left, everyone began to pour into the hotel lobby. We were then directed to one of the hotel bars for cocktail hour while the ballroom was readied for dinner and the reception-only guests began to arrive.

Elma and I looked for seating while Jake went to get drinks. Of course, he got tangled in the gauntlet of greetings, so Elma and I kept each other company. Eventually Emma and Linda joined us and brought us drinks. Lindsey, Thomas and Todd were all wrapped in business discussions.

"We can't go anywhere without that man looking to talk shop." Linda was annoyed with her husband.

Just as Elma and I finished our first round of drinks, Jake finally appeared. "I'm glad you didn't wait for me to get started." He had drinks for Elma and I.

"Oh, we're ready for Round 2!" Elma motioned for him to hand her a drink. I mouthed "thank you" as I accepted mine. He winked in response while Elma scolded him for leaving us alone.

It wasn't long until we began to transition to the ballroom for dinner. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lindsey and Joseph, Sylvie's father, huddled in a corner. Lindsey and I exchanged glances before my attention turned to Jake as he slipped his hand into mine while we walked.

Once we located our table, he pulled out my chair for me, and then for Elma as she arrived. No regard for the seating chart, Elma elected to sit next to me. Emma, Linda, Thomas and Todd were all sitting down. "Has anyone seen Lindsey?" Todd asked. My mind was split about mentioning the sighting, when she appeared.

"Hey!" She greeted us and sat down in the remaining chair. Todd looked at her with concern but she pretended not to notice. Her eyes quickly flashed my way before she turned to her mother.