Chapter I

"POTTER!"

Harry barely blinked at the shrieking voice of his uncle. It was normal for him to be yelling at Harry for something he didn't do. Nonetheless, Harry tucked away the piece of parchment he was drawing on and got off of his bed.

Uncle Vernon yelled three more times as Harry descended the stairs and Harry prepared for the belt that was sure to hit him for his tardiness. But when Harry reached the front room, he stopped in his tracks.

Dudley was hiding behind Aunt Petunia's skirts while Vernon's slightly purple face stood stoickly next to his wife. Although, the image of chivalry was ruined by the way his eyes kept nervously flicking to the robed man standing in the doorway.

As the man's eyes locked into Harry, his eyes lit up. "Ah, Mr. Potter. My name is Kenric Slintch, I'm an Auror. Mr. Weasley asked me to retrieve you when he sent the letter. He's so excited to have you in his care this summer!"

Harry hadn't received a letter. But when he heard 'Weasley' and 'summer' in the same sentence, he lost all care for that. "I'm sorry sir, what are you here for, exactly?"

Kenric chuckled heartily and wiped an imaginary tear from his eye like Harry was the funniest person he'd ever met.

"Well I'm here to escort you to the Burrow, of course. It was going to be Arthur himself, but something exploded in his department and he had me do it for him. Are your bags packed?"

"Um, not really....." As Harry hadn't known he was leaving, his stuff was sort of strewn throughout his room.

"Well that's alright, you go on upstairs and pack your stuff. I'll be right here with your family for the time being."

Harry took a bit of satisfaction in the purple that tainted Vernon's face from being referred to as Harry's family.

When he made his way upstairs, he shut the door and leaned against it. He didn't have to be with the Dursleys this summer. The Weasleys wanted him. This was going to be the best summer ever.

Packing his things didn't take much time. While they were all strewn out, there weren't many. His cloak, the map, and his wand were the most important things.

He was dragging his Hogwarts' trunk across the floor and was partially out of his bedroom door before he stopped and ran back. Harry couldn't believe he'd almost forgotten.

Under his bed was something equally important as the cloak and map. Harry wriggled his hand around until he found the loose board on his bed and yanked it. Something tumbled out and Harry grabbed it gently. In his hand was a necklace.

He didn't think anyone else would care for the old necklace, but he did. Aunt Petunia had told him he was wearing it the night he'd been dropped off at the doorstep. His aunt was the kinder of Harry's relatives and had given him the necklace on a Halloween. Harry didn't think she had ever intended to, but he'd found her crying in her room with the necklace in her hand. That was the only night he'd ever gotten a hug from her.

Aunt Petunia hugged him the whole night and gave him the necklace when she was done. They never spoke of that night.

The lily-flower necklace was cool in his hands as he slipped it onto his neck.

As Harry made his way downstairs, he could hear small talk coming from the sitting room. And chuckles. Harry peaked around the corner and saw everyone sitting comfortably in the couches. Well, except for Dudley. Dudley was never going to be comfortable around wizards after Hagrid.

"Mr. Potter! My, you're as quiet as a mouse; I almost didn't notice you there." Harry gave what he hoped was an embarrassed smile. Kenric was scanning his entire body with his eyes. For once, they didn't linger on his scar. They did, however, linger on his black eye.

"I apologize for prying, but may I ask what happened to your eye?"

Dudley's gang had been happy to have him back for the summer. "I had bad dream and stumbled out of bed, sir. I slipped on a stray paper and hit my eye on the doorknob. "

Kenric didn't look convinced but stayed silent on the matter. "Well, everything packed?"

Harry gave a nod and Kenric stood fluidly. "I suppose we'll be heading out folks, it was lovely meeting you."

Surprisingly, they stood as well and shook Kenric's hand. Once they were finished with that odd interaction, they filed out of the room and into the hall.

Kenric took the lead by grabbing a hold of Harry's trunk and pulling it behind him. Poor Hedwig squawked when the wheels bumped into the wall. They made it out the door and turned to Uncle Vernon. Kenric gave a wave. No glances were spared between neither Harry nor the Dursleys.

"Well Mr. Potter, I'd advise you to get comfy in the back. Ministry cars such as this have a special ability." He leaned close to Harry's ear and continued. "They can fly."

When he pulled back, Kenric huffed out a laugh. Apparently the wide eyes Harry was giving him were funny. He patter Harry on the shoulder and opened the back door for him. Kenric shut the door after Harry slid in onto the smooth leather.

The Auror walked around the car to step into the driver's seat. The engine started and they pulled out of the driveway. Harry turned around and watched as Number 4, Privet Drive faded away.

Harry and Kenric made small talk for a bit as they drove around the roads. They'd lifted off of the ground a while ago and were now flying above the muggle cars below them. He was feeling rather content until he felt a tugging deep in his gut. "Uh, sir? I think I'm getting sick or something."

Kenric turned around with a wicked smile and said nothing. The tugging got greater as Harry tried in vain to open the doors on either side of him. His eyes bulged as the tugging started to hurt and he heard a faint pop. It felt as though he were being pulled through space and time as colors swirled around him.

The car landed abruptly and Harry was considering throwing up, but his plan was put to a stop as a stupefy hit him directly in the chest.

____________________________________________

Words: 1089
Last updated: December 24th 2022