last christmas

After what happened tonight, we go home at dawn, get escorted by local police troops to Quantico, spend a couple of hours in the car, and then drive back to our respective homes.

I sleep late, it's almost 10am but I think that after all the others deserve to sleep too after all that has happened.

I open my eyes to see what time it is, and as I reach for the phone it rings. It's Hotch.

"Hi, it's me again, I know it's been a bad night for you and for all of us, but we have a case, an old unsolved case, meet me in the conference room in 10 minutes. I'll tell the others" he says.

"ok Hotch I'll be right there as soon as I can" I hang up.

it took me 10 minutes to get ready and 5 to get out of bed. I arrive at the office with two bags under my eyes and a cup of coffee to keep me awake.

"hey Frankenstein did you sleep well?" Morgan asks from his desk.

"How do you cheer me up even if I'm not in the mood?" I joke.

"oh come on I always cheer everyone up" Morgan says as he's laughing.
I roll my eyes and give him a small smile.

Hotch leaves the room and motions us to go to the conference room to see what the case is.

Morgan and I enter the room, there are only Prentiss, Reid, Garcia and Hotch here. She explains that JJ took two days off to be with her family and that Rossi had to go to Washington for a funeral.

"today it's just us, Garcia give us a summary of this case." Hotch says as he mentions Garcia to present the case.

"ok, you all remember the case we had on Christmas Eve last year, right? Well, we know the unsub's name is Joseph Busher, and he killed 3 white men in their 60s last Christmas Eve. Even though it's April, he's decided to start killing again, and the coroner is sure it's him because these two victims' bodies have been carved with his initials: JB." says Garcia as she shows us the photos on the big screen.

"I remember it well but why not start again this December? why in April?" asks Emily.

"maybe he wants to exterminate these white men before December, last year we said in the profile that they resembled the fantasy figure of Santa Claus. All these men had more or less long beards, they were between 60 and 70 years old and he never chose them younger or older, we also said that it's like he hates this legend and therefore it's like he wants to exterminate all men similar to Santa, maybe he had a trauma as a child." I say looking at the old profile we write down in a file.

"That's right, the latest homicide took place in Denver, Colorado. And that's where we're going today, wheels up in 30"

We go to the jet, Garcia will remain as always at the BAU in his computer lair, that's where he will provide us with the right information to capture him this year, before he spoils Christmas for many families.

"The latest victim, George Hill, was killed last night, Morgan and I will go talk to the family, Emily, Reid and you will go to the coroner." says Hotch.

as soon as we land we separate: I go by car with Emily and Reid while Hotch goes with Morgan to the police station to meet the sheriff of the city of Denver. on the way out we remember what happened last Christmas, we couldn't catch him, he had shot Morgan in the shoulder and ran off into the woods, then until now Colorado hasn't seen his trail.