Dreams of Reality

"Where have you been?"

"Sorry..."

"Why are you always late now? You got something more important than saving your home and thousands of people?"

"N-no-"

"Then what is it?"

"...Do you promise not to be mad?"

"I can't promise that. It depends on what it is."

"I was... I was helping Omen. But please, you don't understand, I don't think-"

"What have I told you about going near him? We both know he's a demon, and the thing that will destroy this city if we don't do anything about it!"

"I know! I know! If you would just listen to me for once-"

"No! I know demons. It doesn't matter how much compassion you give them, or how loyal you are, they will always betray you when it benefits them most. Trust me on this."

"You don't know him! I can tell he's being forced into this, maybe we could convince him to not destroy the city!"

"Yeah, but with Sxorces involved, anything could happen. He is the definition of demonic, even if he's an Angel. Or fallen angel. Whatever he and I are, I don't know!"

"Well, I'm going back. I am going to help him out, and I don't care what you say."

"You never listen, do you? Fine, have it your way. But when you are fighting him for your life, you'll get no help from me."

"Fine."

————

Krel left for a bit and came back relatively quickly. I've considered asking her where she goes when she has to leave in such a rush like she did, but right now my thoughts weren't all there.

I hadn't moved since she left once she returned. I was still sitting against the wall, staring at the ceiling absently, words that I could hardly tell were mine or Sxorce's bouncing around my head, never leaving me alone. Always there. Always bugging me. Always driving me insane.

"Any better?" Krel asked.

I just sighed and shrugged.

Krel came in and sat down beside me again. "I know you're in the army, so I went and told the captain that you weren't well enough to train."

"Thanks," I mumbled, just audible enough for her to hear.

Subconsciously, my hand grasped for hers. Surprisingly, she took it, intertwining her fingers with mine. I didn't realize it for a while as we sat in silence, kind of awkward but at the same time comforting.

The shadows seemed to move in the corner of my vision. I sat up straighter, looking around warily.

Let go.

Let go.

Let go.

The voice again.

I could have sworn I saw Sxorces standing in the far corner by the door, grinning with a twisted, scarred smile.

"Omen?"

I snapped back to reality as I heard my name. Krel was looking up at me, worry in her purple gaze.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing, nothing," I sighed. It was just my mind overreacting. Yeah. That's all.

But it kept happening.

Whispers from the shadows, beckoning me closer.

The sound of fire crackling, the acrid smell of smoke.

The feeling of blood on my hands.

Sxorces staring at me, patiently waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting for me.

For me to decide where my loyalties lie.

But every time I yelped in surprise or fear, or lashed out protectively, Krel was there. She calmed me down, assured me that everything was fine. That whatever it was, it was all in my head.

She didn't understand.

But her presence comforted me.

She can't protect you for long.

I am always here.

And she has lost her protection against me.

———

599 words