"hey"

a/n ~ hello, welcome to CHANCES, a Lo'ak x Reader! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. This first chapter has 3000+ words, so please vote and follow for the pain I have endured xx

-liv__ing

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Lo'ak's POV

The conch shell sounded, signaling our arrival. Swirling, crystal clear blue waters and soft white sand dunes waited for us on land.

Wow. These waters are so clear.

"It feels like I'm on summer vacation," I shouted to my big brother Neteyam as we soared through the air. He scoffed loudly.

"Yeah, pretty much, only we're running from humans who want us dead."

I shrugged, grinning. "Pretty vacation-worthy, if you ask me."

Our Ikran—or mountain banshees—landed on the smooth oceanside with a thud. Their vibrant, powerful wings flared in the air as the Metkayinas crowded around us instantly. I had a lot of observations to make, starting with we're so popular already and these people are so turquoise.

"Tuk." Mom said, signaling for her to stay close. She then turned around for a second to glare at me. "Be nice."

Dad put his hands up to signal peace as we approached.

I glanced around warily at the curious yet hostile Metkayinas circling us, a few boys my age included, who observed me with interest. I felt like an animal on display, which was rather unsettling. Neteyam and I touched our foreheads, a sign of peace that means "I see you".

"What is that?" one of the smaller boys asked, laughing as he pointed to my tail. "Is that supposed to be a tail?"

Trying my best to ignore them, I surveyed my surroundings. My gaze landed on two girls on some sort of ocean Ikran. They dived into the water and emerged a second later—woah.

The first thing I noticed was how beautiful they were. The first girl was very pretty. Her icy teal eyes pierced into mine as she threw her hair over her shoulder. My eyes, however, couldn't resist being drawn to the second girl. The first girl had the same turquoise skin as all the other Metkayinas, but the second girl had darker blue stripes running down her skin that almost looked like they were painted in the sense of how unreal they were.

She looks much like us, I realized. It was as if a magnificent mixture and representation of the forest Forest People and the Reef People was emerging from the sea in front of us. She was so beautiful, I just froze.

I forgot how to speak, where I was, and why I was there.

Neteyam also spotted them and glanced at me questioningly. I tried not to get caught staring, though I saw many boys around me gawking at her, too.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't seem to steer my gaze away. She was... entrancing. It was like the whole world was drowning around me except for where I could see her. Maybe I was imagining it, but the sand parted slightly before she set foot. The swaying palm trees bent towards her as she walked. The waves washed in her direction like drawn to a magnet.

Then again, Kiri tells me I daydream too much.

"Look at his hands!" the other boy shouted gleefully, gesturing to my five fingered hands. "Oh, he also has fuzzy lines over his eyes!"

They're eyebrows, dipshit!

"Do not! Rotxo, Ao'nung!" the first girl snapped, smacking away their hands.