Christmas in Minas Tirith

A/N: Sooooo I wrote and posted this way back in 2017 and believe me, it shows! It's been in my drafts the past couple of years so I thought I'd put it back up just for fun!

Enjoy my teenage cringy writing! :D

"What are you getting Aragorn and Arwen for Christmas?" Gimli asked Legolas one evening. They had traveled to Minas Tirith for Christmas that year to attend the yearly celebration.

It was something of a tradition, for it had started many many years ago before Aragorn was ever crowned King. Everyone in the city would set up their tree and prepare everything to decorate. Then, that afternoon, feasts and contest and thing of that sort would be held throughout the entire city. During this time, some would decorate and while others participated in the other things. It was the biggest celebration of the year. Everyone looked forward to it, from the smallest child to the oldest women in her rocking chair.

"I don't know yet," Legolas answered his friend. "What are you getting them?"

"I don't know either. I was hoping you could give me some ideas."

Legolas laughed. "If I come up with an idea, I will be using it myself. Sorry."

They rounded the corner were they saw Aragorn and Arwen talking.

"Quick! Hide!" Legolas whispered, pulling Gimli out of their line of sight.

"Why are we hiding?" Gimli asked.

"Shhh! Listen!"

"Why don't you let the servants pick the tree?" They heard Aragorn asked Arwen.

"Because they are busy enough and you've seen the other ones! They said themselves they aren't very good at picking them out."

Aragorn laughed. "I'm sorry, but I simply don't have the time to pick one out before the celebration tonight."

An idea dawned on Legolas and he motioned for Gimli to follow him.

"Aren't we a little too old to eavesdrop?" Gimli said once they were out of earshot.

"You might be, but I am not. Compared to my kin, I'm not that old."

"Elves and their immortal lives!" Gimli complained. "You can claim to be older and wiser than the rest of us, or say that you are as young as a mere child."

Legolas laughed. "Well whether we are too old or not, we still got the information we both needed."

"And what would that be?"

"Well, you heard them. Arwen wants a nice tree but Aragorn doesn't have the time."

"You are suggesting that we should get them a tree," Gimli said raising an eyebrow at the elf.

"Yes! That could be our gift to them." Legolas replied with a smile.

Gimli was silent for a moment. "And how do you plan to pull this off?"

"We can figure that out later. Come on, I saw one the other day that I think will work perfectly!"

****

"Yes, this will do fine!" Gimli exclaimed gazing up at the eight-foot-tall tree. He had been skeptical of Legolas idea, but now that he had seen the tree, he was more optimistic about it. "I'll just get my ax and. . . Wait. . . Where is my ax?"

"You lost your ax?!" Legolas exclaimed. "I didn't think it was possible. You had me convinced that some enchantment lay on it so it would never leave your side."