War is Over

"Todd, get some sleep. There's no good in pacing around like this," Charlie said from his spot on Todd's bed. 

It had been hours since the phone call, and Todd had long since explained the situation to Charlie. But there was no update.

Todd paced back and forth across his dorm. "I can't go to sleep when I don't know if Neil is alive or dead."

"I'm just saying you should try. What if he's in the hospital? You'll be up all night."

"He's not in the hospital, Charlie, they would've called us if he was in the hospital."

"Listen, Todd, you did good. The fuzz showed up to Neil's house in no time at all, you heard it yourself."

"But I might've been too late! They hung up after they got there! I never should've chased after that car, I was so stupid! I should've just called in the first place-"

Todd was cut off by the sound of the door clicking open.

In walked Neil, his jacket hung over his arm. "Hey," he said quietly.

"Oh my god," Todd ran in for a hug. 

Charlie quietly excused himself, and Todd was grateful. This was going to get embarrassing. 

The embrace was messy and desperate. Todd buried his face in Neil's chest, crying. Neil cried too, pressing salty kisses to the top of Todd's head. 

"I thought you were dead," Todd choked. 

"I'm okay, it's okay now," Neil repeated over and over. "We're going to be okay."

"I-I...I was so...I love you, Neil. Don't do that to me," Todd cried.

"I love you too," Neil said, pressing another kiss to the top of his head. "I'm not going anywhere."

The hug eventually broke, and each boy went to their respective beds. 

"What about your father?" Todd asked. "Aren't you going to Bryton?"

"No, no, that's all over now," Neil said. "I agreed to give up acting."

Todd's eyed widened. "Neil, that's your dream."

Neil-half smiled. "That's why I lied. Graduation isn't so far away, and after that, he had no power over me. Keating was right."

Todd smiled at him. It was okay. Neil was alive and they were going to be okay.

"But, Todd. I do have a question," Neil started. "When I turn eighteen, I'm leaving this place and never coming back. So I was wondering...will you come with me?"

"Will I ever? We can go to New York, you can be on broadway!"

"And you can write poetry. We'll get an apartment, and a dog..."

"I prefer cats."

"A cat, then. And we'll never have to worry about fathers or brothers or Nolan again."

"I'd like that," Todd said, laying down. "I can't wait."

"Todd?"

"Mm-hmm?"

"Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Neil."