Chapter 3: Discomfort

Tanjiro turned around at the sound of his daughter's voice.

"Father, Uncle Zenitsu has arrived!" His eldest daughter, Azami, had run towards him, informing him of the news.

Tanjiro jogged over to the house's entrance and saw a yellow-haired man and a woman with her long hair tied back in a bun. The two of them were presently out in the front porch, being entertained by his wife, Kanao. Their three little kids were playing with Tanjiro's own kin among the trees some distance away from their small cottage. The three adults were laughing over some unshared joke until Kanao spotted Tanjiro.

"Ahh! Tanjiro! Zenitsu and Nezuko decided to visit us today!"

The two visitors turned around to look at him. Zenitsu was an identical version of himself from twelve years ago. Same yellow hair (except much longer) and yellow eyebrows, same round eyes which were currently filled with surprise. And the same yellow-to-orange haori, currently worn over a white kimono with a black and white spotted kaku obi. Nezuko looked splendid in her purple kimono filled with pink flowers. A matching blue obi was tied at her waist to secure the kimono and she was also wearing a matching pink flower hairpin. Otherwise, she still looked the same as she did twelve years ago. 

"Zenitsu, you sure spoiled my sister a bunch!" Tanjiro replied with a wide grin.

"Brother!" Nezuko jumped up and hugged her brother, who responded with a bigger one of his own. "This isn't even the end of it. He bought me dozens of new kimonos even though I told him to not spend too much on me!"

"Don't listen to her! Make her as happy as you can, Zenitsu!"

Zenitsu laughed and also got up to hug Tanjiro, his best friend and current brother-in-law. "I've missed you, Tanjiro."

"I've missed you too!"

After the adults had some time to catch up with stories and memories over tea, Zenitsu went over to find the kids and Kanao went into the kitchen to wash the dirty dishes

After the adults had some time to catch up with stories and memories over tea, Zenitsu went over to find the kids and Kanao went into the kitchen to wash the dirty dishes. Nezuko had explicitly wanted to talk to her brother alone, so they were in the small balcony in the family bedroom.

"Tanjiro, I've been getting these severe headaches recently."

Tanjiro's eyes widened. "Have you been visiting a doctor?"

"Yes, I did just last week with Zenitsu. He just diagnosed it as a regular headache. I've even stopped reading and knitting as much as I used to, but they seem to increase in intensity every single day."

"Ehh?" Tanjiro was starting to get concerned for Nezuko's health. "Are you fine? Are you taking enough rest?" He placed his hand on Nezuko's forehead, checking for any signs of burning or fever.

"I'm fine. Tanjiro! I've never been this fit! I'm probably just imagining things! It'll go away with some rest!" Nezuko laughed and took Tanjiro's hand into hers. She squeezed it lightly before letting it go.

Tanjiro still wasn't convinced. "Are you sure?"

Nezuko nodded. "Mmm!"

Tanjiro allowed himself a faint smile. "All right then!" He lightly placed his hand on Nezuko's head and removed it, giving her a head pat.

"Make sure you rest up a lot. And don't do too much work!"

"Okay!"

After Kanao and Zenitsu came back, the four of them continued talking for some time until it was time for Zenitsu and Nezuko to leave. Tanjiro and Kanao bid them farewell and went inside the house.

As he was walking back into his room to organize things, Tanjiro felt a sudden sharp pain in his forehead. He stopped, took in a sharp intake of breath, and felt his forehead. Instantaneously the pain stopped.

Kanao noticed him from behind, and approached him. "What's wrong?"

Tanjiro shook his head. "Mmm, it's nothing. Just a small headache."

"I'll make you some tea if you want. Go get some rest."

"Thank you, but the tea isn't necessary. I'll retire to bed early today. I am feeling a bit tired."

Kanao smiled, and kissed Tanjiro's cheek before walking to the common hall and attending to the kids.