Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Deep Within

The school week had passed, and it was finally the weekend. With a month and a half left we started to stress. We had all woken up at first light, so we had plenty of time searching the woods. It had been about one maybe two hours.

"How far into the woods is this clearing anyways. It didn't look that far on the map." Caroline complained.

"Its not too much further. I think." I replied uncertainly. To be honest I had no clue how much further the clearing was. My phone was just about dead, and my compass app was starting to get harder to read. The deeper we went into the woods the more lost we got. 

Marcus was lagging behind a bit seemingly lost in thought. That's been happening a bunch recently. Always losing himself in thought, he lags behind. Me and Caroline can only hope that he's thinking about the case.

Finally an intense light broke out from the trees in front of us. Walking closer to it we see a large clearing.

"You have reached your destination," Sirus, the remodel of Siri, spoke from my phone. We push through the thick brush surrounding the tree line, allowing us to enter the clearing. Sat in the middle of the clearing was a shack. Used for hunting or hopefully murder in our case.

"That thing looks so musty," Caroline complained as we walked up to the door. She was right it is musty. The wood had rotted away over the years, and had become discolored, the two windows in the shack were busted, and the door looked like it was about to fall off its hinges.

"We should probably take some pictures of this area for our report, right?" Marcus asked looking through one of the broken windows. "Your right, as usual, Marcus," I say to him pulling up the camera on my phone.

For part of our project we have to document every part of the investigation. The scenes, the research, the victim, and the results. We had been working all year to prepare ourselves for this project. Granted Mr. Evans should have assigned it to us at the beginning of second semester to give us more time. If we didn't solve the case then the highest score we could get is a B-. To get anything above that you had to solve the case, and report back to police. If you solved it you were not to touch the body.

We don't have to find who did it just find our person. This is my dream. To be apart of the missing person's unit in the FBI.

"Willow, come look at this." Caroline said from inside the shack. Inside was a map with an X marked over something purple. There was a giant red stain on the floor too, but it was so covered in dirt and rot that it would be difficult to grab a proper sample.

Caroline grabbed the sample brush to remove the dirt over a single spot in the floor. The part she was working on had already broken away from the floor and was covered in the red stain.

"When we get back, we should run tests on this at school. Maybe it's Amber's blood or something." I state hopefully.

"Just don't get disappointed when its animal blood and this place is an old hunter's shack." Marcus claims from outside the broken window. Now that I notice it. There were no glass shards inside the shack. Which gives me the idea that whatever happened to these windows. Someone or something was trying to break out and not in. Whether that was Amber or not is the question.