➻ Chapter 5

At midnight we retired to the tent

At midnight we retired to the tent. I needed to talk to Noah urgently. The engagement had been hasty, I shouldn't have said yes. Noah zipped the tent and smiled mischievously at me. Why did he smile at me like that? There was no reason to smile. Slowly he crawled onto the mattress I had already laid down on. She gave way and I felt like I was in a waterbed. When I suggested to Noah to take two air mattresses, he immediately rebuffed. But I needed my sleep and hated it when someone moved in bed.

»Honey, don't we want to cuddle a little?« asked Noah, winking. Did he mean sex by cuddling? Seriously? Now, here in the wilderness of California, in a dark creepy forest, he wanted to sleep with me?

»Cuddling?«, I asked.

»Yes, we haven't had sex in a long time. I thought it was about time again,« he replied, taking off his top. I froze with my thick terry sweater and had no desire for sexual activity in this cold tent. Noah flexed his muscles and came closer and closer to me. I couldn't push him away, could I?

»Don't you find it a little uncomfortable here?«, I asked, trying to show that I wasn't exactly keen to have sex with him.

»Uncomfortable? It totally turns me on. Sex in a tent. There's nothing better, darling,« Noah said, and began to kiss me. His hands moved in the direction of my pants and I quickly slapped his hand away.

»What's wrong?« he asked indignantly.

»I'm damn cold and, if I undress now, I'm going to freeze even more,« I told him. He pushed my top up with his hand so that my upper body was almost bare.

»Didn't you hear what I just said?«

»You can also leave the clothes on. I realise you've gained a lot anyway,« he replied, looking at my belly.

»Do you think that's what turns me on when you say I'm fat?«, I asked disappointed. Tears immediately welled up in my eyes.

»I didn't say you were fat. Only that you've become wider.«

»You're such an asshole.« Annoyed, pushed him off me.

»Then don't.« Displeased, he got dressed again. I tore open the zipper of the tent and walked out.

»Where do you want to go now? It's dark out there and we should sleep now.«

»I have no need to sleep next to you tonight. You hurt me and don't even notice it,« I shouted loudly. Maybe a little too loud.

»Uh, the guilt expert has spoken. Do you want to make me feel guilty now because I wanted sex? I'm a man and I have my needs, which you don't seem to have,« Noah clarified, crossing his arms in front of his chest. I snorted and didn't say a word. With a jerk I carried my sleeping bag out of the tent. I would rather spend the night in front of the tent than have to share a mattress with this man. What kept me with Noah anyway? It was probably more of a habit than anything else. I started crying, even though I could have given myself the tears. Less than two minutes later, Evelyn stormed out of her tent.