Part 1

I never imagined this is how it all would end...staring at the stack of boxes in my house. I caress my fingers along the fireplace where it finds a picture that represents the happiest day of my life. I pick up the frame, holding it gently in my hand, tracing my fingers along the face of my husband, or shall I say ex-husband. "Ma'am, where would you like us to start?" Asked one of the movers. I looked at him with a solemn expression before scanning the living room. The last 5 years of my life was in this house. "Would you like us to start with the couch?" "Perhaps the piano?" The mover asked again. 

The group of burly men were standing awaiting instructions on what to do. I close my eyes tight as I clench my hands around my chest. I let out a long breath before opening my eyes. I looked at the movers. "Just this box." I pointed to the small box perched on the coffee table. The men furrowed their eyebrows in confusion. "Just this box, Mrs. Jeon?" The mover clarified. 

"Yes, just this box." "And it's Ms. Claire." I corrected him. I was no longer Mrs. Jeon. The mover nodded and he carefully picked up the box and walked outside with me following closely behind. As I reach for the doorknob, I turn to look at the house for the last time. Then, I slowly close the door to that chapter of my life.

*******

"Miss, your boarding pass, please." Said the attendant. I snapped out of my trance and showed her my boarding pass. "Enjoy your flight." She smiled. I have a seat next to the window. The clouds have slightly darkened, cascading a gloomy sky over the city. I leaned my head against the window remembering the moment where it ended for us.

[Flashback]

"She was my daughter, too!" Jungkook screamed. "You're not the only one who's hurting!" He continued yelling. "Because you're hurting, you decide to seek comfort with another woman!" "Is that how you remember our daughter?!" I shouted back, pushing him as hard as I could, causing him to stumble back. 

Tears slowly stream down Jungkook's cheeks. "I'm sorry." "I didn't mean to hurt you like this." "You and I haven't been the same since..." He whimpered. "I needed you and you weren't there for me." I cried loudly, dropping to my knees. Jungkook caught me as I collapsed on the floor. He held me in his arms crying himself. "I miss her so much." I sobbed, gripping his arm tighter. "I miss her, too." He whispered, caressing my hair, rocking our bodies back and forth.

*******

[Johannesburg, South Africa]

"Is everything all set?" I asked my sister. "You could've just flown there." "Are you sure this is what you want?" My sister, Kate, asked me. "Yes, I need to do this." I reiterated. Of course, it would be easier for me to just fly to Cape Town, instead of driving cross-country on a motorcycle. Kate and I grew up in Cape Town. We never sold the house, even after our parents died. 

 After Jungkook and I finalized our divorce, I decided to move back to South Africa. Fixing up my parents' house is something I need to do. My plan is to ride down to Durban then across to Port Elizabeth then to my final destination, Cape Town. "I'm really sorry about you and Jungkook." "I know losing Emma was difficult, but it will get better." She assured me. "I'm going to get some sleep; I have a long road ahead." I smiled at her.

*******

[Seoul, South Korea]

Jungkook leaned against the huge window in his office that overlooked Seoul. His divorce from Hayley was finalized two weeks ago. He recalled the most painful days in his life. Emma continued to get sicker, all the chemotherapy and innovative drugs were no match for the lethal cancer coursing through her tiny body.