chapter two

It's dark outside, and the soft rays of sunlight are barely creeping over the horizon. A leaf drifts across the river from ThunderClan territory. It lands with a gentle crunch ontop of the nursery, where you can hear one of the queens snort.

             You sigh, and pad towards the warrior's den. Your vigil is over, and it's time for a well-needed rest. All is well in the camp.

                                                                               ***

             " Wake up. Sparrowtuft! You've been sleeping all day. It's time for a patrol." 

             Reedwhisker is gently batting at you with his paw, and you stifle a yawn as you rise to your paws. Soft morning rays are flitering through the gaps in the leaves. You slept nearly all day.

           Why must we stay up all night?  you think.

           As you step out into the camp, you hear the excited squeals of kits, and your heart pangs. You were once like that...but no more.

          Hawkfrost is already up, murmuring with his sister, Mothwing. You nod at her, and she cautiously nods back. Hawkfrost looks up at you, and his eyes gleam. 

         He pads over to Reedwhisker, without looking at you. 

        " I'll join," he says. 

        Reedwhisker nods, and flicks his ears. " Thanks, Hawkfrost."

        He turns to you. " Good morning."

        " Indeed," you say.

       He glances at the kits, and sadness shows in his gaze. 

        " I had a brother once," he murmurs, to himself or you. " He's...dead now."

       You feel his pain. You lost your sister as a kit to the river...you know you'll never see her in the living world ever again.

      " He's in StarClan now," you say, trying to comfort him. " You'll see him again someday."

      Hawkfrost shakes his head. " He won't be. He's gone...along with my mother. They left me," he says harshly.

      " I'm sorry," you say, gently touching him with your tail.

      He flinches away, a bizzare look on his face.

       " We'd better get on with the patrol," he says, and steps ahead of you and out of camp, leaving you and Reedwhisker standing in the center of the camp.

               Somehow it feels even lonelier without him.